Spruit Bike-jack!

Roons

Why not open a Forum called 'danger zones' or something to warn riders where danger lurks and establish some sort of profile.

One more thing' date=' nah, can't be, but let me mention something about scare tactics to ensure the new bike park is proffitable from the moment it opens its gates .........!! 
[/quote']

idrive, I think you should be barred entry from the new bike park until you have met the people involved in the creation of the park and said this to their faces. These are people with cyclists' interests at heart, going to great lengths to make a safe place for everyone to ride. Some help for you here: www.attitudeadjustment.com

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One more thing' date=' nah, can't be, but let me mention something about scare tactics to ensure the new bike park is proffitable from the moment it opens its gates .........!! 
[/quote']

You are sick mate.AngryAngryAngryAngry

[/quote']

Dude, I've got an extremely dark sense of humour, but I didn't find this very funny. The park will be profitable, since the safety issues on the spruit (and let's be honest, it's been a problem for AGES now) have created a need for the park. Not the other way around.

A friend of mine and his police buddies are now following this thread. There are going to be some changes on the spruit!

A friend of mine and his police buddies are now following this thread. There are going to be some changes on the spruit!

If your buddies need any extra help or info, please let know.

I think the new bike park is a great idea, but what's stopping us from turning the Spruit (at least sections of it) into a "park"? More than just a bike park, somewhere where people can MTB, run, walk their dogs, picnic etc, but safely and with peace of mind.

All we need is some private security and some police cooperation. Residents in the area and users can contribute on a voluntary basis and we can raise some corporate sponsorship.

Or am I just smoking my socks?

Idrive, you need a snotklap. I really do hope your comment "just came out wrong".

riaan, the Spruit is such a long section that it is difficult to patrol the whole length. There are "safer" areas such as Delta Park and Emmarentia.

riaanb, you're smoking your socks - us mtb'ers are just nuicances who destroy the spruit - that's why all the fun stuff (to watch peeps riding as well as to ride) had to be removed. so now there are less mtb'ers riding there. and crime is going back up to where it was before mtb'ers got involved. but do you think the residents have enough brain cells to follow the logic? noooooo.

slowpoke, unfortunately there are a few who spoil it for the many considerate users of the Spruit. There are some riders who treat this trail as if it were their own private race track hence the ire of some residents, dog walkers etc.

Apart from policing criminal scum, if we can teach some of these other guys manners it would be easier to develop the trail into a safer, more usable and pleasant place for all. There have been many people who have tried what is being suggested here but have been tripped up by so many that it was no longer worth the effort.

Pity, but unfortunately that is the reality.

I think the new bike park is a great idea' date=' but what's stopping us from turning the Spruit (at least sections of it) into a "park"? More than just a bike park, somewhere where people can MTB, run, walk their dogs, picnic etc, but safely and with peace of mind.

All we need is some private security and some police cooperation. Residents in the area and users can contribute on a voluntary basis and we can raise some corporate sponsorship.

[/quote']

I thought my taxes are paying for this? Confused

There are a few companies along the Spruit that may contribute, getting the residents to buy in won't be easy. Maybe the BECF (Bryanston east Community Forum) can assist in setting something up.

While on the note of people who clearly watch too much T.V.' date=' who's up for hiding in the bushes around this danger area with some paintball guns with marbles or frozen pellets in em and aiming for the face and eyes of these fu**ers...?

[/quote']

I'm dead keen. I got a lekker paintball gun and I have tried firing marbles through the bad boy. Works OK, not that accurate as the marbles are a little small for the bore and every second one tends to roll out the barrel (sounds like the start of a song) in between the blasts of air....

While we at it, let's set up some boobie traps for the taxis, a plank with nails strategically located on the 'side' of the road should deflate their enthusiasm somewhat...

Hopefully they work in conjunction with the Randburg Police who have a specific MTB patrol unit created specifically for this kind of problem. Element of surprise is everything here. The men heading this up are Inspectors Swann and Van Heerden.

Hopefully they work in conjunction with the Randburg Police who have a specific MTB patrol unit created specifically for this kind of problem. Element of surprise is everything here. The men heading this up are Inspectors Swann and Van Heerden.

Sean, please PM me their contact details.

As for trail development etc on the Spruit, here is the latest:-

Almost all of the clubs who frequent the Spruit got together to discuss a co-ordinated approach to improvements for the Spruit.  The challenge is that the process is very bereaucratic and will take significant effort and lots of time of those involved to get it going.

There is an informal committee which has started this process but it's going to take time.

The new MTB park is not part of this process and is in my view an excellent and much needed resource for Jo'burg which has dismal MTB facilities and I think it deserves full support.  Regardless of whether they are printing money or not.

Unless you have picked up a spade yourself, I can assure you that you have under estimated the amount of work that is required for any form of trail development.  Not to mention the amount of riding time that you lose while putting the proverbial shoulder against the grindstone...

This is to much of a co-incidence but my team mate at the Brait Grace2Grace was hi-jacked on Thursday in the spruit. Angry

His name is Nigel Borain and his bike that was stolen is or should I say was a KTM Hardtail also had his helmet taken.

Atackers where knife wielding b@st@rds.Angry

This is to much of a co-incidence but my team mate at the Brait Grace2Grace was hi-jacked on Thursday in the spruit. Angry

His name is Nigel Borain and his bike that was stolen is or should I say was a KTM Hardtail also had his helmet taken.

Atackers where knife wielding b@st@rds.Angry

Please PM me Nigel's contact details.