Absa Mountain Cup

Cranky

Saw this in the Cape Epic newsletter. Does anyone know any more - distances, cost? Looks good.

Absa Mountain Cup in Magaliesburg

Absa?s contract extension also co-incides with the announcement of the first Absa Mountain Cup, which takes place from 30 and 31 May next year (2009). The Absa Mountain Cup is a 2-day mountain bike marathon race that will debut as a category 1 UCI event on the UCI calendar for 2009. Both days of racing will start and finish at Pecanwood Estate in the beautiful Magaliesburg, a 45 minutes drive from Sandton. It will also carry the second richest prize purse in SA mountain biking after the Absa Cape Epic.

Since the 2006 Absa Cape Epic, aspirant participants have entered the race via a lottery system in order to gain access to the entries which are in such high demand. Next year, 50 reserved slots will be allocated to participants in the Absa Mountain Cup, securing their entries into the 2010 Absa Cape Epic.

Ok, I heard more on SuperCycling tonight. But still no mention of distance. Anyone at the Cape Epic launch who knows?

Will the prize money be better than Cederberg?

I thought mtb UCI races are classified as world cups?

Thought 1.1. , 1.2, 2.2 are all road classifications

when can we enter?

I THINK this race will be a qualifier for the 2010 event.

apparently ride on your own as opposed to riding in a pair

that's how i understand it. first fifty individuals get team entries.  

Thought 1.1. ' date=' 1.2, 2.2 are all road classifications

[/quote']

From the original post " It will also carry the second richest prize purse in SA mountain biking after the Absa Cape Epic."  So yes prize money is better than Cederberg Escape.

Thought 1.1. ' date=' 1.2, 2.2 are all road classifications

[/quote']

From the original post " It will also carry the second richest prize purse in SA mountain biking after the Absa Cape Epic."  So yes prize money is better than Cederberg Escape.

a touch of sarcasm i think after the fantastic prizes they had at cederbergWink

• 2 months later...

In the February issue of Ride magazine there's a full page advertisement for the ABSA Mountain Cup. The entries are suppose to open today' date=' but the web page as advertised is not up yet Cry

http://www.mountain-cup.com/

[/quote']

Anyone knows how much it will cost to enter?