MTB: Triple to double

singletrackmind

How would I set my FD to use only 2 rings instead of the 3? Iv taken granny gear off and would now like to do the conversion myself instead of taking it to an LBS because iv just bought a new Sram X9 FD and this hasnt been setup on a bike yet. My old LX was setup for only 2 rings but I didnt do it. I know you have to use the screws to lock the 1 ring off but please could somebody explain in more detail please.

Thanks Hubbers

hi STM, I'm not sure from the shifter point of view how to convert to only 1 shift instead of 2. but from the FD point of view I'd say just screw the "Low" screw enough to make it stop just above the middle ring. That should be quite simple to do. And even if you leave the shifter as it is it won't be able to shift past the limit adjusted with the screw. I hope this helps.

Ok done and it works!!!

But the shifter now needs to be blocked to only shift 2 and not 3? sram x0 grip shift, anybody know how?

if it is still shifting three there is too much play in your cable because in my own experience as soon as you try to shift to the third one it is blocked due to cable tension being too much