MTB SA Olympic Program

Athena

I heard a rumour that some mtb olympic  hopeful atheletes are being taken out of the Epic to preserve them for the Olympics is this true? and why?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its the epic.  The risk of injury ect ect is maybe a great factor.  It might be to great a risk. And think, Epic or Olympics.  I would choose the olympics.

but aren't the olympics in 2008 ??

either way isn't our "MTB olympc program = burry stander" ??

There is a woman's olympic program as well, have to say I agree with the girls being pulled from the Epic, it would've wrecked the chances of doing anything in Europe.

ok, so I take it they are pulling them from the epi so they can go overseas to race lap races and score UCI points this season?

don't they select the field based on points at the end of the 2007 season ? hence all the yanks go to race in costa rica and other obscure places to get points ? before the Euro's get them all in the wold cups?

do we have any chicks you can compete in lap racing ?

Mazda Drifter has done a lot for the sport but has removed all technical skill and speed fom our top riders - just an observation here.

ok' date=' so I take it they are pulling them from the epi so they can go overseas to race lap races and score UCI points this season?

don't they select the field based on points at the end of the 2007 season ? hence all the yanks go to race in costa rica and other obscure places to get points ? before the Euro's get them all in the wold cups?

do we have any chicks you can compete in lap racing ?

Mazda Drifter has done a lot for the sport but has removed all technical skill and speed fom our top riders - just an observation here.
[/quote']

At the moment we have 4 chicks that are gonna be campaigning to race against the best, can they compete? Remains to be seen, initially I think not but they're gonna have to learn and learn quickly.

I think we're probably gonna have 2 slots again, 1 male and 1 female, hopefully we send 2 people this time.

And Yes the Drifters are killing the technical aspect of this sport, where do you get a guy winning a race with a road cassette on or a guy winning a race with an 8kg rigid, bloody ridiculous!

so who are the 4 girls ?

Raats

De Villiers

Speedy

Erlank ??

are any men going to race overseas (with CSA support?)

Several top European men ride the Epic as their opening of the season race so I can't see how it can be much of an issue for the ladies looking to campaign in Europe.

BTW: If any of you doubt the technical abilities of ladies like Yolande Speedy I suggest you go join her for a ride over technical terrain.OuchSmile

Lap racing (cross country) and marathon are 2 different disciplines. You can't compare them. I have ridden parts of the Merida courses in Europe and they are very similar to our Mazda series, ie non-technical. Lap racing or XC is more technical but don't confuse with marathon.

Several top European men ride the Epic as their opening of the season race so I can't see how it can be much of an issue for the ladies looking to campaign in Europe

The answer is in the question "top European Men". These are south african ladies looking to get good at Olympic style XC not be an overall sh!t kicker as those euro's are. Our ladies are looking at moking in-roads in an environment they don't know, it won't help to go there drained by the Epic, carrying minor knee niggles.

I think it's a stupid idea. It's like saying I'm not gonna ride any races until the Argus because I don't want to get hurt. Or maybe I should not be training either becasue I can get hurt riding on the road aswell. Okay, I'm not a pro but you get the point.

Entirely different, they're training to be good and fast for 2 hours, why change the training to be good for 5 hours a day for 8 days? It's 2 entirely different types of training.

so a ladies team went to europe to race on CSA's account last year, now a MTB team goes this year (which is awesome) - but what about the men ?????

Rock - CSA sent teams of both sexes to race at MTB both worlds in 2006.

TitusTi - I take your point on the type of training but some of the ladies in question have a better chance of a podium for their sponsors at the Epic that at European races. If I'm a sponsor ... I'd want my riders at the Epic on the podium ... unless CSA is off course prepared to compensate me for loss of exposure. Tricky one.

wasn't talking about teams to the worlds, I'm talking about the ladies racing for 6 weeks in europe prior to road worlds.

and now it soulds like a similar thing is happening with a group of ladies for Olympic prep.