Alberton _ JHB South Riders

Slave

May get flamed for this but hey...[flamesuit_on]

As a fellow cyclist and a proud resident of da souf, I respect the cyclists on the road and always stay well clear, in fact every Saturday morning when I take the turn at Klipriver Dr (going to my other hobby) I go through there @ like 2kph (yes its inconvenient but heck, its only 50m and takes a extra 30 seconds, :-)) BUT, this weekend I was coming down from Alberton side along Swartkoppies before the Overbury robots and next thing from the right side are 2 cyclists blissfully unaware that its 7:30am and there are other motorists using the road AND that the lights were RED for them.

One of them had a bright yellow jacket and the other a black top, had to slam on brakes to avoid them, nearly ending a good day's riding for them both.

I am not going to preach about stopping at red lights etc, I know I also do the same at times (mainly when turning along with the road and not going over a major intersections), however it’s just an example where if something had happened everyone would blame the motorist but in fact it would have been the cyclists.

I cringe every time I read an article about accidents involving cyclists as I’m sure many of us do, just be aware of your surroundings, don’t take unnecessary risks and be safe.

Cheers

• Replies 9.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

May get flamed for this but hey...[flamesuit_on]

As a fellow cyclist and a proud resident of da souf, I respect the cyclists on the road and always stay well clear, in fact every Saturday morning when I take the turn at Klipriver Dr (going to my other hobby) I go through there @ like 2kph (yes its inconvenient but heck, its only 50m and takes a extra 30 seconds, :-)) BUT, this weekend I was coming down from Alberton side along Swartkoppies before the Overbury robots and next thing from the right side are 2 cyclists blissfully unaware that its 7:30am and there are other motorists using the road AND that the lights were RED for them.

One of them had a bright yellow jacket and the other a black top, had to slam on brakes to avoid them, nearly ending a good day's riding for them both.

I am not going to preach about stopping at red lights etc, I know I also do the same at times (mainly when turning along with the road and not going over a major intersections), however it’s just an example where if something had happened everyone would blame the motorist but in fact it would have been the cyclists.

I cringe every time I read an article about accidents involving cyclists as I’m sure many of us do, just be aware of your surroundings, don’t take unnecessary risks and be safe.

Cheers

Bobbo - thanks for the post which should just act as a reminder to all of us, whom are all guilty of the occasional going through a red set of lights. However when this happens, its done when no vehicles are in sight , etc.... (ok most of the times :( )

However, when someone does something this stupid and endanger themselves, they make us all look bad, and I am flaming you for not hitting them (ok, not really)

Good post though to make us realize again how we sometimes frustrate the other road users.

Hey Kieran, you have that dual suss MTB of yours yet? :D

Wanna go tread on some hallowed ground with it? (Don't worry it is just a gravel road, no nasty rocks / single track etc) Who knows, maybe the queen herself with accompany us?

Yes Oxman I have it already :clap:

Went out and did 2 laps of the green route at Reitvlei on Saturday afternoon :thumbup: Was great! :thumbup: Leg feels ok which is also a good thing :thumbup: But then again... It felt good right after the crash as well :unsure:

Ox get your ar$$e in gear dude, we going through to Queen Bree's hallowed turf on the 20th of August (Should permission be forthcoming ....)

How far are you intending to go? Down the other?

Kieran, dude, seriously now. Trust me when I say you shouldn't go to Breedt's Nek for awhile. Even on a duel sus you will be shaken around so much that your cracked leg will come apart! It seems the backwards Ox wants to see your demise. It was quite possibly him who put gravel or whatever ont he road specially for you at SBR.

Kieran, dude, seriously now. Trust me when I say you shouldn't go to Breedt's Nek for awhile. Even on a duel sus you will be shaken around so much that your cracked leg will come apart! It seems the backwards Ox wants to see your demise. It was quite possibly him who put gravel or whatever ont he road specially for you at SBR.

OXMAN!!! :angry: :angry: :angry:

These are serious allegations here!!! :angry: :angry: :angry:

How do you answer to these... ;) Why you want to sabotage me huh??? :P

@Ha Ha

You planning on building another road bike ?

Then I would advise you to avoid MTBing with any of the people on here.

Probably up and over to the shebeen and back I reckon ... you keen?

Probably up and over to the shebeen and back I reckon ... you keen?

I am. Need to get in a decent distance though. Why not just a little further to MSP Gate and back? Hopefully we can base at Nance. I will request HRH's permission.

Yup I am indeed Saul :thumbup:

See there is a nice Willier with Super Record on here... :blush:

Buy it & since you think Super Record is cr@p you can give it to me :clap: :clap: :clap:

Buy it & since you think Super Record is cr@p you can give it to me :clap: :clap: :clap:

What you going to "give" me in return for it :P

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Kid only has crap so you might not get much of value in return!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Kid only has crap so you might not get much of value in return!

This is true! Or he'll give me Centuar saying that its 10 speed so easier to operate/maintain and because its heavier it will last longer, eliminating the maintenance issue ;)

I have 1 x SORA STI, a Shimano triple blade crank, which are way better that SRAM and in your eyes way better than Campy :thumbup: :thumbup:

I have 1 x SORA STI, a Shimano triple blade crank, which are way better that SRAM and in your eyes way better than Campy :thumbup: :thumbup:

WTF is he meant to do with one STI? Besides, if it is way better than SRAM and Campy as you state then why aren't you using it?

Kieran, best you move back north (and away from Ox's area). Seems like there is a conspiracy to kill you here with Ox and Kid. Since the gravel on the road didn't work they want to give you rubbish which will disintegrate and kill you.

Never mind that Andy!!! I had 2 brakes on the EMME2 now with 1 SORA STI I am definately doomed! Maybe I should flee to Zim :thumbup:

Archived