Best full susp MTB for 10-15k

FASST

So im looking at getting back into cycling.

Whats the  best bike available for 10-15k Preferably full susp.

Im looking at the - Scott Aspect FX-15 for 13.5k

Any advise will be appreciated . . .

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Aspect is not bad at all...what you need to look at is weight obviously...and alot of cheaper (beneath 15k is still cheaper believe it or not) full sus bikes are less well-specced to keep the price down compared to hardtails of similar price.

Mind you, I am a hardtail fan...and a Scott fan as well LOL

I believe the Aspect weighs in at something close to 13kg?

Have a look at www.bicycling.co.za and search for that price category. They have pretty realistic retail prices and many brands which can be viewed.

Depends on what riding you want to do. Are you wanting an all mountain or XC bike? The Scott Aspect is all mountain and quite heavy at just under 14kg.

If I were you I'd go for a second hand bike. You can get much more for your money.

But go to Northern Farm this weekend and try out Commencal, Mongoose, Specialized, Merida and others. Then compare prices and specs of bikes at Westdene Cycles - they have the biggest bike range in Gauteng.

If I bought new, I'd probably also go for Giant Anthem 2. Great light frame and excellent suspension design.

So im looking at getting back into cycling.

Whats the  best bike available for 10-15k Preferably full susp.

Im looking at the - Scott Aspect FX-15 for 13.5k

Any advise will be appreciated . . .

I had the Aspect/Reflex  FX-15. Excellent bike for All mountain rides and bumpy tracks.

Just pump the shock to the correct pressure and it is virtualy a HT. Cornering is relaxed so short sharp turns is hard work until you get to know the bike..

Nice bike for long relaxed rides. If you want to win races... Go for a Hard Tail or a sub 10 kg dual.

I enjoyed mine.

FX-15 I believe ways 13.5kgs, nice bike, but the spec is on the lower end. I got the Scott Genius MC40, awesome bike. Paid R14.5K back in July. My MC40 weighed in at 12.5kgs (Small). Bike goes down hills like a rock rabbit. The Genius range has the 3 mode rear shock (Lock Out - 60% Travel and Full Travel). The FX range only has Lockout or Full Travel. Consider I spend most my time in the 60% travel mode the FX15 just wouldn't cut it. The Front shock on the FX-15 is on the low-end of the Rockshox range. Go hunting for an 08 - MC40. Otherwise go for the Scale 35 HT, awesome spec for the price.

I have few regrets opting for the MC40 over a better spec'd HT. But I do agree if you want to win races go HT. If you want to do ok and walk away comfortably go FS.

Daxiet2008-11-24 13:23:55

I would have to disagree with you both on the winning only on HT's

There is this 'little nobody XC racer' called Christoph Sauser. He seems to win everything on a susser

Interesting how different people's experiences are. I had a Reflex FX-25 and my son the FX-15. I did not enjoy either and neither could he. We sold both at a ridiculous price. I found the geometry too relaxed (more Harley than bicycle LOL) and the rear shock was permanently locked on mine due to the severe pedal bob (yes we did set the shock up properly and even had it double checked by the LBS). So, it ended up being nothing more than a very heavy HT.

I would not buy one again, but this just highlights the fact that you should test ride and decide for yourself.

Find yourself a bikeshop that stocks Giant, Merida and Raleigh. You'll find the best bang-for-your-buck with those brands. My personal preference would be a Giant though. Anthem 2's should be going cheap now that the Anthem X2 is out.

I find that the Anthen pre-X release suspension seems to be a tad more effective on rocky outcrop type climbs. I think the way the linkage utilises the shock has something to do with that???