mtb rides in kzn

GIRR

Hi All

I'm going down to durban (umhlanga) for most of december and will be taking my mtb with me.  Do any hubbers in durbs know of any group mtb rides that I can join?

Thanks

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Please DO NOT ride in the Tongaat Hulett cane fields that surround Umhlanga unless you have an EMBA permit. Details on the EMBA website www.emba.org.za

This may sound unfriendly but is has taken ages to get permission to ride in the cane (its all private land) and this will be withdrawn if the mtb community as a whole can't be persuaded adhere to Tongaat Hulett's rules.  The club that issues your permit will give you details of group rides.

Make sure you visit Giba Gorge while you are down here, its seriously worth a visit, R30 a day - www.gibagorge.co.za (well worth the drive to Hillcrest)

There is also public mtb available at Kenneth Stainbank Nature Reserve & Killarney 4x4 in Shongweni (and other places).  You'd have to drive to ride from Umhlanga, ask if you want details & I will post.

Thats very interesting Aicorner, does this include the cane fields in Ballito?

I'll be in Umhlanga from the 26/27th Girr. Will be doing Balito, Giba, and maybe Clearwater.

The THS land to which the EMBA permits apply ends at Zimbali.

The land north of that is all privately owned.  You trespass if you ride on private land without permission.

Some of the Ballito farmers favour the introduction of a permit system but its unlikely that this will be in place by December.  Ask (Colisheen Estate or Park Cycles may be able to help, or the landowner) before you ride and appologise if you inadvertently ride where you are not allowed.

The THS land to which the EMBA permits apply ends at Zimbali.

The land north of that is all privately owned.  You trespass if you ride on private land without permission.

Some of the Ballito farmers favour the introduction of a permit system but its unlikely that this will be in place by December.  Ask (Colisheen Estate or Park Cycles may be able to help' date=' or the landowner) before you ride and appologise if you inadvertently ride where you are not allowed.

[/quote']

Thumbs%20Up

Please DO NOT ride in the Tongaat Hulett cane fields that surround Umhlanga unless you have an EMBA permit. Details on the EMBA website www.emba.org.za

This may sound unfriendly but is has taken ages to get permission to ride in the cane (its all private land) and this will be withdrawn if the mtb community as a whole can't be persuaded adhere to Tongaat Hulett's rules.  The club that issues your permit will give you details of group rides.

Make sure you visit Giba Gorge while you are down here' date=' its seriously worth a visit, R30 a day - www.gibagorge.co.za (well worth the drive to Hillcrest)

There is also public mtb available at Kenneth Stainbank Nature Reserve & Killarney 4x4 in Shongweni (and other places).  You'd have to drive to ride from Umhlanga, ask if you want details & I will post.
[/quote']

Thanks Aicorner

I know the area where the sugar cane fields are but wasn't intending on riding there anyway and certainly not by myself.

I've been to Giba a couple of times already and will be going again(it rocks there).

I'm more looking for if there are any group or club rides in the area that I can join and get training mileage in.

We will be riding in the hills behind Umkomaas. There is epic riding up there. Also planning a transkei ride around the 4th of Jan

• 2 weeks later...

I am in Ballito from the 19th Dec-4th Jan, Looking for group mtb rides. Is anyone looking for people to ride with or know of any good routes to ride??

We have a few relaxed rides in Ballito they leave from Ninos at 05h30 Saturday and Sunday, see all you vaalies there!

Cyclelab Durban North has a regular mtb group

I phoned them and they tell me to call their shop at Giba, or else they have a combined mtb/rd group (not exactly what I was looking for) that leaves from the shop.

Just go and do Giba , was there last week and really enjoyed it . Did the route from Umhlanga to Balito one day , but it just to bloody dangerous . No ways of doing it off-road and on the tar is was scary .

Any MTB rides on the KZN South Coast (between Scottburgh and Shelley Beach) and North Coast (between Ballito and Zinkwazi)? Can be bit inland I don't mind driving a bit.

I will also be in Umhlanga between 22nd and 5th with my MTB doing some training for EPIC. Name is Greg. Number if you keen to ride is 0827831945