Protein shakes

Moab

Hi guys,

A friend of mine is a former track pro and has suggested that I start taking protein shakes to loose weight and improve my riding. Is this wise? Also... which brand?

Thanks

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks pal - you know of one that costs less than that 1k for the first visit??

Karen Paquay.Wink

Why does your friend not advise you on what Protein shake to use?

Karen - yes, um R1000 bucks for first visit!!! I am waiting for friend to return to her Skype to advise me but wanted advise from friendly hubbers.

How many of you use protein shakes? Any girls who use it?

I drink a USN protein shake after a hard workout. I found that it helps with recovery. Just make sure that you don't gain weight. Cyclists doesn't want that extra weight that a shake can give you.

how will taking in more protein help you lose weight?

it does not....whey protein helps with recovery without the bulking up part of normal protein.

Agree with Fand. I went to see a dietitian almost 3 months ago - and have lost almost 8kg's. Feeling fantastic.

First visit was R200. We go for "weigh-ins" every two weeks, R20 per visit.

Honestly, this sounds like a wild goose chase with respect to weight issues and cycling performance. Di, go see someone, use google, get information about what to do before using a protein shake (you have seen the difference in physique between a track pro and a top road rider? You want to look like the track pro that advised you this route?)

Karen - yes' date=' um R1000 bucks for first visit!!! I am waiting for friend to return to her Skype to advise me but wanted advise from friendly hubbers.

How many of you use protein shakes? Any girls who use it?
[/quote']

I use Fit's Protein X-act, but only when I'm training hard.  I like to believe that it's helping with recovery.  I can't see how taking protein can help with weight loss though Confused 

use protien drink only after hard ride and withing 1 hour. just for recovery of muscle tissue. rule of thumb 1g per kilogram body weight. (best to see how your body reacts and adjust)

I think a protein shake might help you lose weight if you replace it with a meal, but I don't think any dietition will recomend it, especially if you are active. You need vitamins and all sorts of goodies to build the body that comes with training.

Okay, shweet - thanks for advise! Will go see someone. Dont like pumping my body with crud anyway.

I could always just eat healthy... Embarrassed

Thanks a mil! Dem track riders!! Ouch

Protein shakes will only work (for weight reduction) if you reduce or skip meals.

Use low fat chocolate milk - Has many advantages:

Much cheaper, no fuss to mix, tastes great, can be bought at most grocery stores / cafes, easier to digest.

CHOCOLATE RULES