Painting aluminium

Veloce

I have a Giant Anthem rear triangle that i would like to repaint. I have rubbed it down to bare ali with the intention to paint it with automotive paint and a clear coat but was informed that this would probably not adhere to the aluminium properly. When I questioned how the factory does it the response was that the paint is baked on like a powder coat paint job. Is this true and am i wasting my time spraying an undercoat followed by a duco layer??  Veloce2008-12-24 01:53:09

Yip, just alu primer, base (colour) coat and clear. Or you can just make the colour 2k direct but then then the stickers will sit ontop of the paint. It's a waste to have 2k base colour and 2k clear.

Thanks TokenFreak Thumbs%20Up

Hey Mampara!! yep I got a duco base coat and a 2k clear coat like you suggested. So, its just an etch primer first, then the colour then the stickers and finally the clear. Thank goodness for the experienced people out there. Thumbs%20Up Thumbs%20Up
Veloce2008-12-24 02:05:17

Just remember to paint over the stickers with thin coats of clear otherwise the thinners and paint will damage it. Thin coat of clear the whole bike after stickers have been applied, then just build up a layer every 2 hours or so untill you can see a ridge forming around the stickers. Let it dry. Now sand away the ridge with wet sand paper and scuff the rest of the frame with some rough Scotchguard pad. Clean properly and give one last clear coat. let it dry for about 8 hours.

Thanks very much for the advice Mampara. I'm gonna tackle it next weekend when i get my decals from my mate.

and they charge you R1000 and you are without the part for 2 weeks. If he does it himself, he can be of the bike for 3-4 days, max.

I have seen their work and it looks amazing but I think they have a minimum fee for any job no matter how small.  Cry

and they charge you R1000 and you are without the part for 2 weeks. If he does it himself' date=' he can be of the bike for 3-4 days, max.

[/quote'] Shocked

Where do you get stickers from, or can you make them yourself? Have googled but hard to find what I want, in terms of printing off onto blank stickers to make my own.

Howdy Yang, hope you're well!!

I have a mate in the sign writing business and he prints them out on the thinest avaliable stuff (whatever it is) so that it doesn't stick out too much when you spray the clearcoat over. I havent got them back yet, will send you a pic when i get them.  

Hey Boet, I'm not too bad. Malaria laid me low off the bike for 3 weeks- still struggling to put in a decent training ride.

I'm getting a new bike and will be experimenting on some alu tubes before going onto my old alu Giant frame for a makeover. Look forward to your pics.