Frame dynamics

Edition 507

Guest Agteros
@ Yang & 1ktt:

The article is on the www at:

It is in German' date=' it has some pics, at least. I work for a German company, will see if one of my German colleagues' kids want to earn some extra pocket money translating it for me. 

PS I would also like to think I will be ablel to tell the difference, but after looking at the article, I won't bet money on it, though. Perhaps cyclists are suckers, easy prey to marketers Confused
[/quote']

Any hubbers volunteering to translate it?

Ich verstehe nicht, was ist es. Es tut mir leid, ich sprache kein Deutch.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been slashed so I will go sit in the corner with my Relaxed headset angles now. I still feel more comfortable on one with these atributes.

• 2 weeks later...

I wasn't comfortable with my bike's handling. I tried different stem lengths and seat laybacks' date=' nothing helped. I went for a fitting at the Sports Science Institute in Newlands and it was suggested that I needed a frame with a longer horizontal toptube length. I got a frame that's 27mm longer, and used a 10mm shorter stem (17mm nett), and I cannot believe how great my "new" bike feels! I agree that most geometries on bikes are so?similar that it doesn't make a difference. However,?I'm now convinced that?each person has an ideal frame?length.?Determine that first, then find one that comes closest.[/quote']

?

I agree with your general comments about bike fit but not that size affects handling. You were simply not comfortable on your bike and the SSI found you a more comfortable frame size. I agree that frame length cannot compensate for a too short a frame but today's Small, Medium or Large sizing doesn't give a fig about your comfort. Also, with the advent of carbon and aluminium bikes, the chances of getting a custom frame are nil.

?

?

JB - Perhaps you should spend less time tinkering and a little more time riding. Previously you spouted forth that V-brakes are just as effective as disc brakes, now you claim that wheelbase, head tube angle and top tube length do not affect handling characteristics!

With respect to top tube alone, in line with this post, the top tube length and stem length in combination with setup together determine the front contact patch loading. On a mountainbike this has a fairly dramatic effect on handling. The same applies to road bikes but requires that you ride at some speed into a corner to notice the difference (Leave the panniers at home).

Likewise, head tube angle, wheelbase length and bottom bracket height (which varies considerably on mountainbikes) can make a huge difference. This applies to ordinary cross country bikes being ridden on different terrain and not for downhill bikes and unicycles.

JB - Perhaps you should spend less time tinkering and a little more time riding. Previously you spouted forth that V-brakes are just as effective as disc brakes' date=' now you claim that wheelbase, head tube angle and top tube length do not affect handling characteristics!

With respect to top tube alone, in line with this post, the top tube length and stem length in combination with setup together determine the front contact patch loading. On a mountainbike this has a fairly dramatic effect on handling. The same applies to road bikes but requires that you ride at some speed into a corner to notice the difference (Leave the panniers at home).

Likewise, head tube angle, wheelbase length and bottom bracket height (which varies considerably on mountainbikes) can make a huge difference. This applies to ordinary cross country bikes being ridden on different terrain and not for downhill bikes and unicycles.

[/quote']

Blasting away with a shotgun is not nice. Be specific when quoting me in order to disagree. Paraphrasing me out of context is simply argumentative.

1) V-brakes are just as effective as disk brakes. What's your problem with that statement? I don't think those are my words and is open to wide interpretation.

2) What on earth is "front contact patch loading?

3) Define "considerably" in your reference to variable wheelbases. I assume you mean "Wheelbase length" to mean the same thing as "Wheelbase"?

4) Using terms like "huge difference" invariably end up in a morass of flexible meaning. Rather state what the difference is and how it is perceived by the rider.

JB

when last I checked, this was a forum and not a peer reviewed scientific journal.

I think it is entirely appropriate for me to use adjectives to describe my opinion.

Likewise, your statements are also opinions (however misguided they may be).

The front tyre contact patch is the area of the tyre which is in contact with the road surface after deformation of the tyre. In addition to friction co-efficients, the angle of forces acting on the contact patch determine when the tyre will break free. In addition, the fork offset and seat tube angle affect the lateral loading of the tyre sidewall during cornering. At low tyre pressures and high tyre volumes (such as on a mountainbike), this can be a signifcant factor affecting the grip levels and handling.

The position of the rider with respect to the front wheel determine the angle of forces exerted on the front tyre contact patch.

Without going into a protracted discussion about how each variable affects the bike's handling, suffice to say that your use of technical jargon is an attempt to intimidate individuals on this forum who may not be able to respond in kind.

I have watched your posts for a while now and they are all very similar. They try to portray opinion as fact. The truth however, is very different.

If you are confident of your opinions, please write them up and publish them in an appropriate journal, not a magazine article. We might then start to take you seriously.