alu vs. carbon

Scoe

I said "treat everyone's opinion as bullsh*t" not treat research as bullsh*t.

This is a forum of random people' date=' all with opinions.

I'm just offering my opinion that the man needs to do some real research of his own in order to make the best decision he can for himself. And he should treat that as bullsh*t too.

Just beware the 'experts' on this forum, because:

[/quote']

Smile like the pic.

The reason I asked the question:

Doing good bicycle related research is not easy.

(1) Bike companies will say whatever sells them more bikes, so their propaganda should be doubted with good reason.

(2) Most main stream cycling mags & websites get money from (1) for advertising, so are kind with their reviews - for example cyclingnews.com rates everyting 4 ot 4.5 / 5

(3) A lot of info you hear in a bike shop comes from (1) and (2). Shops also sometimes propagate myths like "saving rotating mass is worth double normal mass", "shifting on a new bike goes out because the cable stretches" and "aluminium goes soft over time"

OK how about this, I'm looking to swap a Mongoose Meteore Team alu frame with a Raliegh RM9 carbon frame..... with a pay in of course

Is this a good idea???

OK how about this, I'm looking to swap a Mongoose Meteore Team alu frame with a Raliegh RM9 carbon frame..... with a pay in of course

Is this a good idea???

It is your choice, but I would stick with the alu frame. It would be nice to have carbon but it costs a heck of a lot to replace. Unlike alu when it is nearly as light but it is stronger than carbon. But that is what I would do.

Find out what the 2 frames weigh. If the carbon is not much lighter than the aluminium (which is possible, earlier generation Raleigh carbon road bikes were relatively heavy, don't know about the mtbs) it may be a pointless move to start with.

OK how about this' date=' I'm looking to swap a Mongoose Meteore Team alu frame with a Raliegh RM9 carbon frame..... with a pay in of course

Is this a good idea???[/quote'] It is your choice, but I would stick with the alu frame. It would be nice to have carbon but it costs a heck of a lot to replace. Unlike alu when it is nearly as light but it is stronger than carbon. But that is what I would do.

Do what you must do. BUT my 2007 RM8 carbon frame cracked...

If you are looking for at bling thing, go for carbon. Longevity? Go for alu. The weight difference will be minimal.

Thanks guys.

Seems you have talked me out of changing frames.

Probably for the better!!

Another one saved! Had this same conversation with a mate a while ago, he decided to ignore our sage words. And behold! he bashed his frame on a rock on our first ride, made a nice mushy spot on his top tube, and bought an alu frame the next day.

But I will agree, carbon is a great material. Just not for MTB's.