Raleigh Complaint (2008 Tandem)

Azonic

Bought a 2008 Raleigh tandem, new, from a cycle shop early last year because wife and I wanted one. We haven't ridden it that much, possibly twice a month, since the wedding in July 2008 till today, two rides more. So, it is basically still new.

Anyway, the complaint is that the spokes on the wheels, according to the Raleigh website is supposed to be stainless steel spokes. Strange, because for a bike that always sleeps inside the house, these "stainless" spokes are corroded like you won't believe. Almost looks like galvanized spokes that you get on R500 pick-n-pay specials.

Run your finger down a spoke and it feels like sandpaper. I tried taking "Silvo" and a cloth once to try get the roughness off, and that's pretty much a lost cause as well. Takes about 5-10 minutes of extreme polishing to get anywhere, PER SPOKE. The shop I bought it from says that Raleigh/Probike says that's just the way it is. Very promising response, eh?

Has anyone else had problem with Raleigh spec'd wheels?   

Either 1) The spokes are galvanized, or 2) EXTREMELY cheap stainless spokes.

I'll try post some photos later.

Contact Brandon Els, Albert Retief or Jan Begeman at Raleigh/Probike  directly about this matter. Whatever happened on you bike it is not acceptable. I do not have their email addresses as my Outlook gave the ghost yesterday. I may have it on my work laptop and will post it later. Other hubbers may help with these email addresses.

I bought an 05 raleigh, the wheel-build was rubbish, I was breaking spokes on every ride, took the bike back to the shop where I bought it and they rebuilt the wheels with new spokes (no charge of course)

Does a magnet stick to the spokes? As far as I remember, stainless steel is not magnetic. That would be the easy way to check.

"Either 1) The spokes are galvanized, or 2) EXTREMELY cheap stainless spokes"... Looks like you answered yourself there.