8 to 9 speed

chuck

Changing from 8 to 9 speed drivetrain (MTB) means I will replace the shifters, RD and cluster. Question - will I need to change the hub or is it possible to install the 9 speed cluster on the same hub?  

Suspect you should be fine with the hub and even RD too.

My opinion is based on experience with road equipment though where a lot of hubs/RD's are 8/9/10 speed compatible.

Changing from 8 to 9 speed drivetrain (MTB) means I will replace the shifters' date=' RD and cluster. Question - will I need to change the hub or is it possible to install the 9 speed cluster on the same hub?   [/quote']

Only the shifter, cassette and chain needs replacing.

Clusters stopped at 8-speed and have been discontinued.

Mini hijack, for the ignorant like me... diff between cluster and cassette?

Think I know, but not sure..LOL

Mini hijack' date=' for the ignorant like me... diff between cluster and cassette?

Think I know, but not sure..LOL
[/quote']

Clusters are a set of sprockets on a freewheel mechanism that screws onto the hub. They went extinct.

A cassette fits onto a freehub (body) of the modern kind.

They are not compatible.

Simplistically, clusters are separate 'cogs' that screw on.. ?

Cassette is one piece?

Simplistically' date=' clusters are separate 'cogs' that screw on.. ?

Cassette is one piece?
[/quote']

A cluster is one piece (all in one).

A cassette is a number of cogs that fit on splines and are held on by a lockring.

Simplistically' date=' clusters are separate 'cogs' that screw on.. ?

Cassette is one piece?
[/quote']

No, bike stuff is never that simple.

Clusters comprised a freewheel mechanism with loose sprockets. The largest 5 sprockets slid on, just like today's cassettes. They were separate and had spacers between them. The last two small ones screwed on. The very last one wasn't like today's locknut but a proper sprocket, usually 13 teeth and later 12. Clusters by different manufacturers were not compatible and we used to grind them to modify them. With some careful grinding you could ever reverse some and get double their life.

However, some freewheel bodies were stepped, with the larger sprockets fitting on a bigger part of the freewheel (in other words, had larger holes).

Making up a custom cluster of 7 sprockets involved a stock of 7185 different combinations. It was a nightmare.

Confusingly, you could buy a cluster as a unit, complete with freewheel mechanism inside or, you could buy separate sprockets. The top brands were Sachs (today SRAM), Shimano and Mailard (which merged with Sachs before merging to become SRAM). Regina in the Italian camp also featured.

A cassette on the other hand can be one-piece or multiple pieces. Most in fact are multiple pieces with the largest three riveted together and the smaller ones being separate with spacers in-between.

I can't put it more elegantly than the late Sheldon Brown.

What a great explanation JB, my dim and distant memories of Alan Van Heerden and my Dad discussing and changing sprockets 30 years ago is coming back to me.Big%20smile

Once again, thanks for taking the time to answer a question that possibly I wont need to ever know the answer too, but found interesting/curious enough to ask.

KDEE2009-01-15 02:20:11

Only the shifter' date=' cassette and chain needs replacing.

Clusters stopped at 8-speed and have been discontinued.

[/quote']

Sorry I'm still old school but yes it's a cassette. I still use LP's and tapes Embarrassed

Is the 9 speed chain narrower than the 8 speed?