Assos or Vermarc, Shorts or Bib?

covie

Im generally an assos guy, swear by them, tried all the local flavours without reaching joy. However Assos if you dont wash them in their baggy, seperate from anything else that doesnt come with a 3k pricetag, and no detergint, they dont last, Mine tore for no reason after about a years worth of riding, So my girl dillegently stitched that up for me, Last weekend at houwhoek, i pull on my wounded assos pants to get ready for day two, and crucnh another tear, basically the material has just become totally brittle. But i knew that was going to happen. So I am not complaining.

Now thought i need some new training bibs, decided to give Vermarc a try, bought a pair at Buycyle, and will give the bibs a bash tomorrow to see what they are like. Chamois looks soft and good quality and not too thick, odd elastics around the leg grips, but the material looks quite robust.

Happy with my Assos Mille and Assos FI13's both. Super expensive though. If you can get them out of country, you're going to save about 30%...

I recently bought Giordana, very impressed so far.

Agree Giordana are good value for money and Assos are so pricey that you end up wearing the dam things out 'cos you can't afford another half decent set.

AAAAAND sure as nuts that tumble throught the rock garden will hurt waaaaaaaaay more in Assos!

So a quick question to the folks whose shorts/bibs are going brittle... How do you dry your shorts? I dry mine over a drying rack out of the sun. Just asking to save myself ruining my bibs

So a quick question to the folks whose shorts/bibs are going brittle... How do you dry your shorts? I dry mine over a drying rack out of the sun. Just asking to save myself ruining my bibs

I think it has more to do with using detergent, and not putting the damn thing in its bag, which is a mission. And since a chamois is a breeding place for backteria i sure as hell aint going to wash it in just plain water, and i am also not buying the super expensive Assos approved detergent.

I rode my Assos about 2 weekends ago and I can't say that I was blown away by them. I bought the entry level pair and think it might have not been the best purchase I've made. Now listening to other's comment I think I'm going to be too worried to use them in fear of them falling apart.

I recommend Giordana bibs. Got a pair of Silverline and they are great so far. Haven't done any long distance in them, but they are super comfy and are a good quality fabric.

Assos distinguishes itself with serious R & D.

Also, has a long legacy in the cycling clothing industry.

If you have the moola, go for it.

For those that complain about deterioriation, use the Assos warranty system and you will get after-sales support.

Be sure to use the right washing and drying instructions though.

hell i just hope these bibs fit, just read buycycles returns policy and it reads like a horror story, if they dont fit I can send it back sure enough,

just small matter of paying the shipping fees with insurance R150

The a "nominal" 10% charge for returning R110

And then paying to have it shipped back to me R150

R410 bucks just to return something if it doesnt fit. And they dont supply sizing info on most of the items. Thats torrid I am sorry to say. I could understand the charges if the sizing info is displayed and you still choose the wrong size.

Well if it doesnt fit it will be posted on the hub very soon :)

Assos distinguishes itself with serious R & D.

Also, has a long legacy in the cycling clothing industry.

If you have the moola, go for it.

For those that complain about deterioriation, use the Assos warranty system and you will get after-sales support.

Be sure to use the right washing and drying instructions though.

Right washing probably means using that seriously expensive shampoo of theirs. I use a normal mesh laundry bag for my kit anyway. Drying of any shorts or tops should be out of sun.

Whichever, just always choose bibs.

Shorts move about, adding to additional friction and instability.

Always bibs.

Do what the PROs do who spend many days and weeks in the saddle.

Right washing probably means using that seriously expensive shampoo of theirs. I use a normal mesh laundry bag for my kit anyway. Drying of any shorts or tops should be out of sun.

I use ordinary washing powder and my 4 year old shorts are happy.

No direct sunlight, yeah.

Sakkie, yeah.

NO SOFTENERS. NO SOFTENERS. NO SOFTENERS.

It decays that special fabric. :huh:

Vermarc, never tried it, and it looks like a good choice.

Edited by Puncheur

Degrades the material. Have you ever left a car shammy out in the sun and forgot about it. I try and hang my kit out at night.

Degrades the material. Have you ever left a car shammy out in the sun and forgot about it. I try and hang my kit out at night.

Never had any issues with any of my Giordana bibs? It is not the same material as a car shammy.

Never had any issues with any of my Giordana bibs? It is not the same material as a car shammy.

I hear you. Always hang my stuff inside out anyway. Just my OCD nature I guess.