Ultimate core workouts

SV - indoor, hell I live in Cape Town, I sold my IDT when I left UK.

SD - I'm doing this Mon, Wed and Fri. Takes about 15-20mins including a couple of mins rest between sets.

Found another killer routine on Bicycling to try tonight: http://www.bicycling.co.za/articles/spin/3015 

Ouch, my abs aren't talking to me again this morning after trying the workout from the above link.

I'll alternate with my original session as this one provides some variance and seems to target the tum a little more. My trunk seems to be pretty weak and I'll no doubt need a couple of weeks of the new program to see the kind of strength gains like the initial program.
ShortLegs2009-02-17 05:10:25

Dumb Q guys: What does all the CORE strengthening help with?

simple answer = EVERYTHING

it doesnt help if you have legs as strong as steam engines and they are pushing against jelly!! 

get the point? Wink

Here's how to train the most important muscles (after legs that is) for cycling.

Your bulging quads and razor-cut calves are the envy of your pack, and you start every ride strong. As the ride progresses, though, your hips see-saw in the saddle, your lower back aches, and you slow in corners. The problem? Your core cries uncle long before your legs wear out. Although a cyclist's legs provide the most tangible source of power, the abs and lower back are the vital foundation from which all movement, including the pedal stroke, stems. You can have all the leg strength in the world, but without a stable core you won't be able to use it efficiently. It's like having the body of a Ferrari with a Fiat chassis underneath. What's more, a solid core will help eliminate unnecessary upper-body movement, so that all the energy you produce is delivered into a smooth pedal stroke. Sadly, cycling's tripod position, in which the saddle, pedals and handlebar support your weight, relies on core strength but doesn't build it. To develop your high performance chassis, try this intense routine. It takes only about 10 minutes to complete and focuses on the transverse abdominus, the innermost abdominal muscle, which acts as a stabilising girdle around your torso, and also on your lower back, obliques, glutes, hamstrings and hip flexors, so your entire core - and then some - becomes strong and works as a unit. You'll notice that it skips the rectus abdominus, or six-pack muscle, because it's the least functional muscle for cycling.

Lying Gluteal Bridge (12 reps)

20090128_055418_Gluteal_bridge_.jpg

Lie on your back with your knees bent and your heels on the floor with toes raised. Place your arms at your sides' date=' palms facing down. Squeeze your glutes and slowly raise your butt off the floor until your body forms a straight line from your knees to your shoulders. Hold this position for 1 to 2 seconds, then slowly lower yourself back down to the floor.

[/quote']

If you want to make it a bit harder, do it with one leg off the ground, or with a weight on your stomach.

Jack knife (swiss-ball) (12 reps)

20090128_055531_Jack_knife_swis.jpg

Get into a press-up position with the tops of your feet resting on a Swiss ball' date=' so that your body forms a straight line from toes to shoulders. Keeping your back straight, contract your abs and roll the ball in towards you as far as you can. Keep the motion steady and constant.

Decline press-up (swiss-ball) (15 reps)

20090128_060537_Decline_press-u.jpg

Position yourself so your shins are resting on a Swiss ball and

your hands are on the floor. Tuck your chin and, leading with your

chest, lower your body until your arms form 90-degree angles.

[/quote']

You can mix the above two: roll up, push up, roll up, push up ...

If you do a lot of core, you should add some back extensions too, to make your back stronger.

Try http://exercise.about.com/cs/abs/l/blextension.htm

If it gets too easy, hold a medicine ball in front of you.

thanks BA, the second routine incorporates a leg lift with your hips on the swiss-ball and palms on the ground. That should be sufficient for lower back stuff along with all the other exercises no?

thanks BA' date=' the second routine incorporates a leg lift with your hips on the swiss-ball and palms on the ground. That should be sufficient for lower back stuff along with all the other exercises no?[/quote']

Define "sufficient"

I'm not a physio, but it does change the range of motion, and the resistance involved.  It's also static tension, as opposed to dynamic (changing) tension.  You're lifting your legs, but they aren't moving.  There are more medical terms for the difference.

Almost all core excercises (abs) incorporate some part of the back, when done right.  With most people, it's also the back that will cause problems before the abs.

I said...

the second routine incorporates a leg lift with your hips on the swiss-ball and palms on the ground. That should be sufficient for lower back stuff along with all the other exercises no?

You said...

Almost all core exercises (abs) incorporate some part of the back' date=' when done right.  [/quote']

So we're agreeing right Wink

I have been doing a few of these for the past 4 weeks at gym and i can say i havent had back pain for 3 weeks.Abs feel hard but i still need a lot of cardio.

Actually I doing CTS sequence, for me is very hard,

that included some exercises described here and others:

Supine Bicycle

Back Extensions (swiss ball)

Russian Twist

Rounders

Suitecases

Windshield Wipes

I started it yerstarday, and feel pains until now,

but is very very good.

I said...

the second routine incorporates a leg lift with your hips on the swiss-ball and palms on the ground. That should be sufficient for lower back stuff along with all the other exercises no?

You said...

Almost all core exercises (abs) incorporate some part of the back' date=' when done right.  [/quote']

So we're agreeing right Wink

It's not sufficient for me.  But I broke my back, so I'm taking it very, very seriously.

When I do squats in the gym, correctly, I exercise my abs and back.

When I do a bench-press correctly, I exercise my abs and back.

But it's not "sufficient" for me.