Mountain bikers knocked down on Botha ave.

DownhillGuru

Hi all,

Just thought I'd bring the following to your attention.

On Saturday 17th a freind of mine (Maeson) and another cyclist where riding home along Botha avenue after enjoying a training session in the Groenkloof Nature Reserve.

A woman in a large truck (F250 or similar) aparently swerved of another vehicle and slammed into the back of the riders at an excessive speed.

Maeson has broken his back in two places but thank the good lord his spinal column is not damaged. He'll be out of action for a good couple of months.

The other rider apparently hit the armco face first and is having to undergo reconstructive surgery.

I haven't yet been to see him in Unitas but will keep their progress updated on this topic.

Anyone want to buy my road bike? From now on I stay off the road and only in safe (hopefully) areas. My Cannondale caad5 will be in the classifieds shortly.

Regards, Steve

Hi all' date='

Just thought I'd bring the following to your attention.

On Saturday 17th a freind of mine (Maeson) and another cyclist where riding home along Botha avenue after enjoying a training session in the Groenkloof Nature Reserve.

A woman in a large truck (F250 or similar) aparently swerved of another vehicle and slammed into the back of the riders at an excessive speed.

Maeson has broken his back in two places but thank the good lord his spinal column is not damaged. He'll be out of action for a good couple of months.

The other rider apparently hit the armco face first and is having to undergo reconstructive surgery.

I haven't yet been to see him in Unitas but will keep their progress updated on this topic.

Anyone want to buy my road bike? From now on I stay off the road and only in safe (hopefully) areas. My Cannondale caad5 will be in the classifieds shortly.

Regards, Steve
[/quote']

but they were also on mountain bikes?

on the road though 0 i think that's the point he's trying to make...

unless he loads his mountain bike on the car, he's gonna have to drive it on the road sometime..

[

but they were also on mountain bikes?

True, but they were riding home (on the road). What I meant was that I'm not prepared to risk my life as a roadie any longer. It's all trail riding for me from now on.

True' date=' but they were riding home (on the road). What I meant was that I'm not prepared to risk my life as a roadie any longer. It's all trail riding for me from now on.
[/quote']

I don't think that is a valid argument DG.

You have a higher risk of being involved in an accident riding in your car than cycling on the road.

Maybe perhaps sell your car?

Tongue

Personally I think the road vs mtb because of safety is a silly debate.

both can be very dangerous.

Since i started riding again, i've been riding almost 4 years now. I've never had an accident with a car. Ride sensibly, be seen, and most of all, assume that all cars are trying to drive you over. I've bunny hopped a couple of pavements and worn flat spots on my wheels, but never come to harm.

I've had a few tumbles on my MTB, but also nothing too serious. I never MTB alone. Riding single track by yourself is asking for trouble. its easy to fall and hurt yourself badly and no-one will find you for hours.

On the road, if you are hit, someone is bound to see it.

It certainly is not my intention to start a Road vs MTB debate. I think both  are awesome! I haven't ridden my road bike since my son was born with Downs Syndrome and other complications now 16 months ago. It's a personal thing, but I'm just too petrified after realising how fragile life really is. Suppose I'm on a mission to minimise my risks.

Another friend of mine was attacked in Irene / Lyttleton area in December (Same place where the other attacks have been happening). So yes you aren't completely safe whether you're on the road or off.

As I said, for me it's a personal thing and I just won't feel comfortable on the road anymore. That's all.

And yes Fandaliscious you're right, I load the bike on my awesome new Thule bike rack!Thumbs%20Up