To Boyes Drive or Not?

Philippe

I think 5 minutes is a little on the optimistic side, as it is quite a bit longer than Main Road. It can also become a bit of a "wind tunnel" if the SEaster starts blowing - just ask anyone who rode the Cobra last week-end!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm more concerned about Chappies being closed than the Main Rd v Boyes Drive debate.

If Chappies is not open in time, then it means Ou Kaapse, Wynberg Hill and Hospital Bend instead of Chappies and Suikerbossie. That's going to add time and make the route much less attractive.

Oh well, what will be will be...

The thing with Boyes Drive is that it is a lot slower than Main Road past Muizenburg and Kalk Bay. You have to turn sharp right onto Boyes Drive and climb a switchback or 2 to get onto Boyes proper' date=' do the 3 hills and then when you come off it you have a sharp right hander 90 degrees.

This will take some minutes out of a possible sub 3, and could hurt your time.

Compared to  just going straight past Muizenburg and Kalk Bay on Main road, no climbs and to turns.

My guess is Boyes Drive will Add 5 minutes more, at least, if not more.

[/quote']

i wouldnt say the turn is sharp to get onto boyes...esp with road closure

i think i must check the time difference actually...will be interesting to see

Depends which road you enter Boyes Drive from there are 2 entrances t get on Boyes Drive, the onee has a short sharp turn and switchback  from Main Road, can't remember if this is the first or send entrance to Boyes Drive.

over boyes takes me 15 mins, back along main road is about 9-10, so yep about 5 mins slower. but much heavier on the legs.

1st entrance is westlake end, steepish LH Sweep.

You dont want to ride the 2nd entrance. Steep as hell switchbacks.

over boyes takes me 15 mins' date=' back along main road is about 9-10, so yep about 5 mins slower. but much heavier on the legs.

1st entrance is westlake end, steepish LH Sweep.

You dont want to ride the 2nd entrance. Steep as hell switchbacks.

[/quote']

Ah thats right the second one was the harsh one, Westlake entrance is a bit gentler as you said.

This will make Suikerbossie a lot harder later in the ride. OUCH!