Why cars don't see cyclists

Canaris

Many many' date=' years ago, there was a study done on this phenomen, regards motorcyclists. It concluded that the average motorist recognised a car, but did not recognise two poles with a wheel in the middle, which led to the "motorcyclists, lets's keep our headlights on to get thier attention." drive.

I agree with this. If you are a cyclist, you will recognise a cyclist, but if you have never ridden a bicycle/motorcycle, the presence of such a strange item on the road, not shaped like a car, just does not register in the motorists mind.

How many times have you as a cyclist, yelled at a motorist that pulled out of a stopstreet in front of you only to see the look of absolute amazement  on thier faces? They just did not register your presence!!!!!!!!!!!!

Moral of the story, make yourself visible, wear bright colors, ride defensively, expect the motorist to not see you.

[/quote']

I partially agree with you, but I (living in a country where you use your bike for the daily commute in the city) am convinced that in many cases the car driver actually does see you but can't judge the speed in which you are travelling towards him. The driver thinking of himself cruising on his bike at 20 km/h would never expect you to be faster than that. a cyclist for them is a cyclist - that's the same as driving on the Autobahn, driver A in the middle lane want to overtake the car in front of him, he checks his mirror and sees headlights way behind...so he moves over only to be shocked that the headlights now are pretty much at his bumper cause the car wasn't doing 160 but perhaps 250 km/h....

and even if he might be able to judge your speed the attitude is 'get in there before the cyclist, no matter what'!

rules for all: open your eyes, be defensive, communicate!

or just do whatever and kick the cars' doors and hit against hte windows! Big%20smile

Good point Legend, but there are always the a***holes. We came across one on our Saturday ride, a young twit in his Golf, who clearly saw us moving and signalling our move to the right hand lane, but then pulled up on our left and promptly turned right in front of us, with his head hanging out of the window, cigarette in mouth ( bet he throws it out of the window to start fires too) and yelled at us to F-off. There were about ten of us in the group, and we were hoping he would stop so that we could "educate"him, but as expected he went racing off!

BTW. We all stopped at the stopstreet. he didn't!!!!!!!!!!!!

AngryAngryAngryAngryAngry
joevan2009-02-23 15:48:09

Good point Legend' date=' but like I said there are always the a***holes. We came across one on our Saturday ride, a young twit in his Golf, who clearly saw us moving and signalling our move to the right hand lane, but then pulled up on our left and promptly turned right in front of us, with his head hanging out of the window, cigarette in mouth ( bet he throws it out of the window to start fires too) and yelled at us to F-off. There were about ten of us in the group, and we were hoping he would stop so that we could "educate"him, but as expected he went racing off!

BTW. We all stopped at the stopstreet. he didn't!!!!!!!!!!!!

AngryAngryAngryAngryAngry
[/quote']

you should have extinguished his cigi with your sticky energy drink Big%20smile