an inspiring story about one of our own

Tumbleweed

came across this on sapa. couldn't find a link, so i thought i'd post it here:
Forty-seven-year-old Mark Thijs defiantly dealt cancer a punishing blow on Sunday when he won the 40-years-plus Veteran Men's category at the Macsteel Carnival City 100km National Cycle Classic in Brakpan southeast of Johannesburg.
A month ago Thijs was diagnosed with bladder cancer and was at an all-time emotional low, uncertain of what the future held for him. But on Sunday, he pedalled powerfully along in a four-rider breakaway to eventually claim victory for his club team, Cycle Lab Supercycling Toyota.
"It was obviously great to win the race but it was even better to be able to show cancer that it picked the wrong person," said a delighted Thijs, who begins chemotherapy treatment next month.
Thijs was treated for a bladder infection during December 2008, but further tests in January revealed he had cancer in his bladder. The cancerous cells were removed almost immediately with surgery and chemotherapy treatment is expected to help keep the disease at bay.
"It is a high grade of cancer, which means it requires treatment, but it's also been diagnosed as non-invasive, which means it's unlikely to spread beyond the bladder," explained Thijs, who has scheduled the first round of his chemotherapy treatment for after the upcoming Absa Cape Epic mountain bike stage race.
"After the surgery, the bladder needs some time to recover before further treatment can be done, so I just asked them to give me a couple of weeks longer so that I can compete in the Cape Epic which I've been training for," said Thijs.
Compared to Sunday's 100km road race, which he won in 02 hours 22
minutes and 04 seconds, the Cape Epic is brutal! It's regarded as one of the toughest sports events in the world, covering 743km in eight days over some of the most gruelling terrain in the Western Cape, including 16600m of cumulative vertical ascent (twice the height of Mt Everest!).
"I must thank Anton Oberholzer who was with me in the breakaway on Sunday," said Thijs. "He is very strong and helped keep the other two guys with us for much of the race so we had a better chance of staying away from the main pack. The other two eventually dropped off and Anton and I shared the workload for the final 50km or so. Without Anton, and of course my teammates back in the bunch, I wouldn't have been able to win."

good luck, chucky! stay strong!Thumbs%20Up

Another Lance Armstrong! Shot dude! You did well!

I certainly hope he has a better character than Lance!!

Great going Chucky....you give that cancer hellClap
Wonder Woman2009-02-24 02:04:11

Another Lance Armstrong! Shot dude! You did well!

Sorry to disagree wit hyou DI but Mark is better than Lance He is less arrogant smiley4.gif

All the Best mark and if you wanna go for a cruise on the MTB during the treatment give me a call i am sure we can organise something!!!!

Well done Mark. Kick cancers butt.

Thanks HR for bringing some balance (and good news) to the day.

don't thank me, thank chucky.

when i read the story i had a tear in my eye and a smile on my face. i also only came across it after reading the other story.

Well done Mark. Keep at it ! The big C can be beaten. I wonder if OB knows his part in this inspiring story ? His actions show his good sportsmanship.