What road wheelset for R3500

NC_lurker

Ok, so a motorist took me out last month smiley7.gif and I'm now in the process of replacing my bike. smiley19.gif

I was riding Mavic Aksiums and could just replace with the same as that's what the insurance will (hopefully) pay for. But at the same time I could justify throwing in a few R's and get something a little better.

Any suggestions in the R3500 range?

I like the look of the new Shimano Ultegra WHR 6600 wheelset, but they're a little out of budget & also have custom spokes.

????

yup, a friend is riding an older Dura-ace wheelset & swears by them.

But the Ultegra's are still a bit out of my price range.

You missed out on a set of Easton EA 90s that was in the classifieds last week.

Have a set built. It will last longer then boutique wheels. And you will always be able to get spares for it.

Mampara2009-02-26 08:06:38

Ok' date=' so a motorist took me out last month smiley7.gif and I'm now in the process of replacing my bike. smiley19.gif

I was riding Mavic Aksiums and could just replace with the same as that's what the insurance will (hopefully) pay for. But at the same time I could justify throwing in a few R's and get something a little better.

Any suggestions in the R3500 range?

I like the look of the new Shimano Ultegra WHR 6600 wheelset, but they're a little out of budget & also have custom spokes.

????

[/quote']

I would suggest looking at Fulcrum Racing 3 wheels (about R2500), Racing 5 (R2000) and Racing 7 (R1500) are excellent. I have found I have popped a few spokes on the Racing 3s.The spokes are bladed and thus expensive if you want to replace them all. I found the Fulcrum Racing 7s an absolute bargain. They are bullet-proof and have std spokes, which is great if you are out of the way.

Personally, there is such great value around the R2000 mark that I would spend more unless I was going to get Racing 1's, about R7000.

Fulcrum is part of Campag, so you get the Campag "fishing rod" sound when tou aren't pedalling

Mavic Aksium Races (R2000) are great, but have bladed spokes. I have heard of some problems with after-sales service.

Another awesome wheelset is to use an ultegra hub on a Mavic Open Pro rim. I had a set of these and they didn't give any problems ever.

I would suggest looking at Fulcrum Racing 3 wheels (about R2500)' date=' Racing 5 (R2000)?and Racing 7 (R1500)?are excellent.[/quote']

has not been that price for over a year already. F3s were over 4k when I got my 3s for 2k.

You missed out on a set of Easton EA 90s that was in the classifieds last week.

Have a set built. It will last longer then boutique wheels. And you will always be able to get spares for it.

Unfortunately I have to purchase from a shop because I need an invoice to submit to insurance. Loooooong story..

I seem to remember you had a custom wheelset built, if possible pls PM me what you got built & cost?

Yup, having heard all the issues with spares on the new Shimano XT wheels I don't really want the same issue with Ultegra wheels.

Buying from a shop limits your options somewhat. Check with your insurance - often cash is paid to the claimant based on a quotation rather than an invoice.

R3500 could get you a really good set of 2nd hand wheels (Dura Ace, Ksyrium Sl, Easton EA70, Fulcrum 3).

New you could possibly get Ksyrium Elites or EA50's.

Hand built wheels are also great but can also be quite expensive.

EASTON EA50

Better than wheels costing twice the price. I just bought a set for training, I paid R3400, at it was money very well spent.

If you go for older dura-ace wheels, you going to battle to find spokes, and with the nipples at the hub, good luck true-ing them should you need to straighten them.

PS: Custom build are by no means cheap. Yes, you can get a really strong, last forever wheelset, but will be ugly as sin, and will cost more than something similar, off the shelf.
carlo_sg2009-02-27 00:38:18

Buying from a shop limits your options somewhat. Check with your insurance - often cash is paid to the claimant based on a quotation rather than an invoice.

R3500 could get you a really good set of 2nd hand wheels (Dura Ace' date=' Ksyrium Sl, Easton EA70, Fulcrum 3).

New you could possibly get Ksyrium Elites or EA50's.

Hand built wheels are also great but can also be quite expensive.

[/quote']

Yup, but unfortunately due to some complexity around the insurance, I'm having to submit an invoice. Either that or no money from insurance... looooooong story.

I would definitely be looking at 2nd hand wheels otherwise.

EASTON EA50

Better than wheels costing twice the price. I just bought a set for training' date=' I paid R3400, at it was money very well spent.

If you go for older dura-ace wheels, you going to battle to find spokes, and with the nipples at the hub, good luck true-ing them should you need to straighten them.

[/quote']

Was looking at the Shimano wheels, but the new spokes do worry me after hearing about the issues people have had with the XT wheels.

I checked some reviews on the Eastons, their doesn't seem to be much to separate them from the Mavic Aksiums which are cheaper.

I don't smaak the easton quality that much, it might be fast but I recon mavic should outlast the rest.