fersh south easter!

newbie234

WHen I heard the news I had a panic attack, a fresh south easterly wing forecast for Sunday 8 March 2009! Last year was my first argus and conditions were perfect, I still managed only to scrape in past the cut off! How badly will this affect my ride this year, Ive trained a bit harder but am still very concerned. Also, if the wind is still blowing after Ive reached the top of smitswinkel will it blow me all the way over Chappies or will I be fighting it for the full 108.99 kms!

Any tips appreciated...

sorry, "wind", and i mean i managed to scrape in just before teh cutoff! still suffering effects of panic attack!

if I got it right a SE will be bad for the start - from the left front and then at the turn it will help us? more a right back wind..

But the mountain may change the wind a bit and screw up things - either way - Cycling is mostly into the wind - there is a rare myth that some time in your life you get the wind from the back all the way... but its just a myth. some of us get close to this in our lifetime, but only for a few meters of Kilos..thats itWink

if I got it right a SE will be bad for the start - from the left front and then at the turn it will help us? more a right back wind..

But the mountain may change the wind a bit and screw up things - either way - Cycling is mostly into the wind - there is a rare myth that some time in your life you get the wind from the back all the way... but its just a myth. some of us get close to this in our lifetime' date=' but only for a few meters of Kilos..thats itWink
[/quote']

the wind is never behind a cyclist. you're just stronger on those days

Unfortunately the dang mountain in the middle of the peninsula makes it difficult to get real benefit from the S'Easter.  It'll be quite bad after you turn off from the bleu (bleu?) route and get progressively worse as you get closer to Simonstown.  The last little drag up Smits will suddenly be downwind, as will the 60k/hour dash to Scarborough/Misty cliffs.  Then the fun is over.  As you turn right at Ocean View you'll experience a block headwind...then once you get to Noordhoek you will realise why people go to the beach on that side of the peninsula when the S'Easter blows.Big%20smile
HomerSimpson2009-03-05 06:36:16

I assume bunch riding ability will become more crucial with the wind blowing, now ive just gotta find a group slow enough;-)