STI REVAMP???

slowtwitch

Is it posible to replace various bits of shimano sti guts.

My 7800 sti's have the slightest of play in them just from normal use over a season or so i.e. they start to rattle on the road if my hands are not on the hoods. Can one replace some spring or gadget inside the seamingly complicated guts
slowtwitch2009-03-12 03:30:01

They are easy to openbut...then all hell breaks loose and it's not easy to put back together.lots of springs and smallbits.

If you are very careful you can do it.

I think the issue is whether or not replacement parts are available. With plenty of patience and a digital camera and a reference piece one can open and re-assemble almost anything. But it is no use if the worn parts cannot be replaced. In Campy it is a simple operation to fix exactly this problem but I don't know about Shimano.

C'mon Shimano gurus? Steven, are the parts replaceable?

There was a similar question on the Hub some time ago. Maybe even 2 years back. Somebody from Shimano (may have even been Steven) invited the chap to contact his lbs as they did stock a range of parts.

I've recently rebuilt my left hand STI lever, due to the shifter not wanting to shift... Turned out it was a simple thing - the spring had come out of place and was blocking the rotation of the lever

THere was also a bit of play when I pulled the brakes...

took it apart, put a bit of graphite powder in the cable housing (very messy business, that!) and hey presto! Worked like a charm.

I don't know if you can get the spare parts from anywhere, but you could open it up and put it back together if you have a small amount of mechanical know-how (ie: how to put things back together after you've taken it apart - some people only have the latter skill) and then test it... might be the spring has "popped out" of it's locator hole, thus preventing it from working in the proper way...

Plus, you'll learn something along the way... (how to service your own STI's)

cptmayhem2009-03-13 09:27:17

Shot, that makes sence.

My STI's are working fine, no prob, but little bit of play. After some investigation it seems to be only the right hand side. A mate of mine suggested it is the brake cable that is slightly loose that causes it to feel like "play" i.e. if you pull the brake lever it has slight free movement before you actually pull the cable

SO I think that is my problem...a dumb loose cable and I'm actually blaming the sti's intestines

Thanx for the advise, I would still like to be able to service my own sti's when it does become necessary