Soft Discs

TooManyMatts

Hi

My discs are really soft. the lever only bites at about half pull and is only tight close to the handlebar.

I have done a complete drain of all the mineral oil and refilled and bled with fresh oil. They are still soft and I'm not sure what to try next.

They are XT dual control levers.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What happens if you pump the lever? Does it go hard?

Do you REALLY want to ask that question? Here' date=' of all places?

[/quote']

And to answer...

I don't need to pump it... i get others to do it for me WinkLOL

or, they can do this...Tongue

haha cptmayhem....

@ John. no you dont have to pump them to get them hard. they go hard but the lever has to be pulled almost to the handle bars and even at that point they are not hard enough. they still feel soft

haha cptmayhem....

@ John. no you dont have to pump them to get them hard. they go hard but the lever has to be pulled almost to the handle bars and even at that point they are not hard enough. they still feel soft

sorry for you mate... must be hard

no - that was insensitive of me...

have you tried bleeding them?

they are fairly old brakes. the bike is a 2006 model.

could either be the oil (needs replacing and / or bleeding - much like a car's discs need to be done every so often) - or the pads are worn down to the point that the amount they have to move to make contact with the rotors is too much for the pistons to handle...

possibly even both....

Oh for goodness sake, go and play your teenage nudge nudge wink wink games in Chit Chat. I'm trying to answer a question here.

Now, oil doesn't go old like a car's brake fluid. Replacing it won't do anything. I am trying to find out if the system has air in it or not.

I repeat: does the brake lever's action become harder when you pump the lever a few times?

Oh for goodness sake' date=' go and play your teenage nudge nudge wink wink games in Chit Chat. I'm trying to answer a question here.

Now, oil doesn't go old like a car's brake fluid. Replacing it won't do anything. I am trying to find out if the system has air in it or not.

I repeat: does the brake lever's action become harder when you pump the lever a few times?

[/quote']

my mistake... i assumed the oil could get "old" due to overheating etc...

but you have to admit it was just too good to pass up...

I won't admit anything of the sort. These jokes are purile. Every day of my life I work with nipples and balls and pumping brakes and hard and soft. If I have to crack up and piss myself laughing each time these terms come up I'll get nothing done.

I won't admit anything of the sort. These jokes are purile. Every day of my life I work with nipples and balls and pumping brakes and hard and soft. If I have to crack up and piss myself laughing each time these terms come up I'll get nothing done.

howzit johan! long time no chat, hey? so, what have you got to tell me? Big%20smile

Oh no! The N-word woke you up?

come on, name the child by it's name and say nipple again for me!

completely awake and 100 % distracted from what I was supposed to do.

what are your experiences with the 'stability' of different nipples in quick temperature changes Johan? Does it get cold enough in SA that you have to put 'booties' over them?

Oh no! The N-word woke you up?

come on' date=' name the child by it's name and say nipple again for me!

completely awake and 100 % distracted from what I was supposed to do.

what are your experiences with the 'stability' of different nipples in quick temperature changes Johan? Does it get cold enough in SA that you have to put 'booties' over them?
[/quote']

no - but if you expose them to enough heat, they get bigger!!!

Plus, the more you turn them, the tighter the rim...