Soft Discs

TooManyMatts

In other words - there might actually be nothing wrong with the brake system???

Interesting.....what is a good contact popint for disc brakes to take affect then? halfway? or sometimes even further?

I'm quite new to disc brakes as I had always had white knuckles from the old V-types...

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the wave system was over-interpreted here. On V-brakes it was designed to quickly move the brake close to the wheels (low mechanical advantage, high travel) and then produce a low travel, high mechanical advantage situation once it has engaged with the wheel.

On disc brakes you don't have a need for fast take-up and I'd guess the wave (variable lever) was adapted to work the other way around.

However, I don't think that is what we're seeing here. The OP doesn't state it, but one would presume that his problem emerged after he got used to his brakes that worked in a certain way. It also sounds/reads like one lever only that's exhibiting the problem. Like I said, e-mail diagnostics leave a huge door open, big enough for a big gremlin to escape. These brakes have to be examined by someone who understands hydraulics.

Thanks Johan. Unfortunately I am all the way down in PMB so I cant bring it in. I was just hoping you might be able to diagnose a hopefully common kind of problem. I will have to let my LBS have a look. I'm not a fan of them though and I like to do my own work.