Cleaning one's bike - the cheap alternative

JT24

Hi there,

I am curious, can one wash one's bike with petrol? espescialy the cassette, fd, rd, chain etc? if so, any precautions, except the usual dangers of working with petrol?

any other ideas?

petrol will dry it out

rather use diesel or paraffin, and make sure to lube after the cleaning

rather diesel as it has oil in it. But the fuel will strip grease away from places u cant reach to replace. Make sense??? This much I know.

I use PREPSOL . YOU can buy 5 l. or less at MIDAS. Bought 5l a year ago and still got 3/4 left....

paraffin

When u have your cars engine rebuilt - it is what used to clean off the old oil.

Ja, I thought Fuel was not such a good idea.

Can paraffin be used all over the bike, rd, fd, chain etc?

Get an environmentally friendly degreaser. If you have to use paraffin on your drivetrain, dispose of it properly or recycle. I cannot substantiate this but I have been led to believe that using paraffin on your drivetrain makes your lube ineffective as it leaves a greasy layer. This is also why I wouldnt use it to clean the frame and other bits.

Guest Big H
Get an environmentally friendly degreaser. If you have to use paraffin on your drivetrain' date=' dispose of it properly or recycle. I cannot substantiate this but I have been led to believe that using paraffin on your drivetrain makes your lube ineffective as it leaves a greasy layer. This is also why I wouldnt use it to clean the frame and other bits. [/quote']

The first reply that makes sense except the reply that said "use Prepsol"

Paraffin leaves an oily substance that must be washed out before applying lube. This oily substance will render your lubricant ineffective by decreasing the viscosity of the lubricant.

It is also not a good idea to let any of the hydrocarbon solvents mentioned in the posts above to close to things packed in grease unless you want to completely remove the grease and repack the bearings.

Excessive use and exposure to hydrocarbon solvents can be carcinogenic and you want to stay away from things that can give you cancer.

The environmental impact of not properly disposing hydrocarbon solvents is also not acceptable.

Soooo.................... use a friendly solvent like Prepsol or Cleen Green that will not harm the environment.

Thanks BigH, can I use Prepsol and Cleen Green on the chain?

Before I start a new thread, what can you propose to lube the bike? I saw that video on youtube on how and what to use, but after seeing the prices on the products that guy used I am wondering what else I can use? I read some guys use sump oil, brake fluid, etc...