Mountain Biking disappointed the 1st time

cyclone

My wife and I are roadie's but today we borrowed mountain bikes to see what all the fuss was about.I thought i would really enjoy it and was looking forward to it all day. so anyway i just got back and man was i disappointed.

we went to Tokai forrest and rode for about an hour and bit and i hardly broke a sweat.It was more techinical than the road but slow and not very challenging on the legs. Was also so sandy, spent half the time churning stand while hardly moving forward at all.

Maybe just a bad location.Any mountain bikers out there got some advice or some kind of encoragement or should I trash the MTB idea all together.

cyclone2009-03-22 10:10:15

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yes, please trash the idea of MTB. It's clearly not for you and frankly we're all sick of roadies clogging up our trails. If you can't have fun offroad then u'r either not on the trails, or you are going too slowly, or you are just too serious about life and need to learn to let go of the brakes and let rip a little.

Either way, thanks for playing, and we hope NOT to see you there in future.

yes' date=' please trash the idea of MTB. It's clearly not for you and frankly we're all sick of roadies clogging up our trails. If you can't have fun offroad then u'r either not on the trails, or you are going too slowly, or you are just too serious about life and need to learn to let go of the brakes and let rip a little.
[/quote']

ClapClap Well said!!!LOL

yes' date=' please trash the idea of MTB. It's clearly not for you and frankly we're all sick of roadies clogging up our trails. If you can't have fun offroad then u'r either not on the trails, or you are going too slowly, or you are just too serious about life and need to learn to let go of the brakes and let rip a little.

[/quote']

ClapClap Well said!!!LOL

haha, this cyclone person says "we

went to Tokai forrest and rode for about an hour and bit and i hardly

broke a sweat.It was more techinical than the road but slow and not

very challenging on the legs. Was also so sandy, spent half the time

churning stand while hardly moving forward at all.

Maybe just a

bad location.

Maybe just a

bad location.

Maybe just a

bad location.

Maybe just a

bad location.

Maybe just a

bad location.

Maybe just a

bad location."

Firstly, if you hardly broke a sweat, maybe try going faster, try pedaling more?...and yeas, it IS sandy, it's mountainbiking. hahaha, what did he expect?

Tokai a bad location??? No Cyclone, it's an awesome location dude. It's one of the raddest places to ride MTB on the peninsula. In fact, it's sick. I'll make you an offer, you meet up with my mates and I and we'll take you on some of the trails there. Then you can diss the sport once you can handle even one of the lines there. Otherwise, pop on your spandex and go hit the tar.

well, let's rather get all the info. Can you explain the route you took maybe?

You start on the jeep track climb, but did you peel off into any of the single tracks there?

Nice start might be to go to level 4 and start with Mamba and take all the single track down, or level 2 (?) and start with Bluegum (?)

Best is to go with a bunch of mountain bikers, hard to get into the sport not knowing the trail etc etc

i think this has got to be amongst the saddest posts ever in hub history....

i cant agree more but i am confused at why you didnt enjoy it because what else did you expect when you went riding on a trail? did you expect to be as fast as on the road? did you expect to be as good as on the road?

but dont take it too badly try it again but this time go with a bunch of mountain bikers and see what happens

well' date=' let's rather get all the info. Can you explain the route you took maybe?
You start on the jeep track climb, but did you peel off into any of the single tracks there?
Nice start might be to go to level 4 and start with Mamba and take all the single track down, or level 2 (?) and start with Bluegum (?)
Best is to go with a bunch of mountain bikers, hard to get into the sport not knowing the trail etc etc[/quote']

Best advice!!! I was a roadie and did one MTB ride with some mates and have been sold ever since. Tongue 

Sheesh, you guys are a bunch of pr!cks.

Cyclone's asking for advice, and you tell him to F off... Nice one.

Cyclone, I suspect that going by yourself might not have been the best introduction. With MTB, deciding which trails to go up with and which to go down with can make all the difference in the world. Some singletracks just aren't pleasant for climbing, and some suck when it comes to descending. Also, not even mountain bikers like sand... I sure don't.

Hmmm, you probably climbed up the singletrack to the right of that main serviceroad up, right? It's terrible to go up with because of that sand, and just bearable on the way down, to be honest.

If you want to give it another go, let me know, and I'll show you around!

Sheesh' date=' you guys are?a bunch of pr!cks.

?

Cyclone, I suspect that going by yourself might not have been the best introduction. With MTB, deciding which trails to go up with and which to go down with can make all the difference in the world. Some singletracks just aren't pleasant for climbing, and some suck when it comes to descending. Also, not even mountain bikers like sand... I sure don't.

?

Hmmm, you probably climbed up the singletrack to the right of that main serviceroad up, right? It's terrible to go up with because of that sand, and just bearable on the way down, to be honest.

?

[/quote']

crap. look at the topic heading. the oke didn't want to have fun. he prepared himself to have a *** time. he did. nuff said.

Hey Cyclone: Ignore these guys!! I am also a roadie - love the feel of tar under my wheels. Recently I started mtb and I am hooked! You need to be prepared to ride slower - mtb nuts are just slow. But getting out there in the open is amazing. Go with Martin - sure he can help you get into it. Come up to Jozi and we can take you to a few interesting spots.

Mtb is about relaxing and having a blast whilst blasting along a piece of singletrack then getting hammered by an uphill and then hammering down a shweet downhill!

Dont give up - mtb is not about the sweat and tears its about letting loose.

Sheesh' date=' you guys are a bunch of pr!cks.

[/quote']

he didnt ask for advice db, he said it's sucky and our moms are ugly.

Dont give up - mtb is not about the sweat and tears its about letting loose.

naaaaaa, it's about bustin' the sickness! whOOOOOP