Mountain Biking disappointed the 1st time

cyclone

MTB'ing's as easy or difficult as you make it.  It you hardly broke a sweat you weren't pedalling hard/fast enough.  Half the fun of mtb'ing is overcoming technical challenges.

I hated my first MTB ride, but was sold after a few rides...

Give it some time

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

MTB'ing's as easy or difficult as you make it.? It you hardly broke a sweat you weren't pedalling hard/fast enough.? Half the fun of mtb'ing is overcoming technical challenges.

I hated my first MTB ride' date=' but was sold after a few rides...

Give it some time

?

[/quote']

Well said Nance.....

If you wanna sweat do a race, going on a first ride you cannot expect to be able to ride too fast. If you are new to MTBiking there's a ton of things you need to be aware of. Mind you even if you are not a newbie the dangers are still there...

in 7 min u can break a huge sweat on a mtb - just go flat out up a hill that takes about that time to climb.

If you pedal at a relaxed pace - you wont be breaking a sweat.

U should enter a MTB race - then it will come together. Sweat and fun.

After the race - enjoy a recovery beer, and chat about the scweeet single track, the holy grail of mountain biking.

My wife and I are roadie's but today we borrowed mountain bikes to see what all the fuss was about.I thought i would really enjoy it and was looking forward to it all day. so anyway i just got back and man was i disappointed.

we went to Tokai forrest and rode for about an hour and bit and i hardly broke a sweat.It was more techinical than the road but slow and not very challenging on the legs. Was also so sandy' date=' spent half the time churning stand while hardly moving forward at all.

Maybe just a bad location.Any mountain bikers out there got some advice or some kind of encoragement or should I trash the MTB idea all together.
[/quote']

BERGE VAL OP MY HEUWELS BEDEK MY//////////

Some singletracks just aren't pleasant for climbing' date=' and some suck when it comes to descending. Also, not even mountain bikers like sand... I sure don't.

[/quote']

there ARE no singletracks that suck at descending.

Some singletracks just aren't pleasant for climbing' date=' and some suck when it comes to descending. Also, not even mountain bikers like sand... I sure don't.

[/quote']

For the uninitiated, I meant Wink

Dont give up - mtb is not about the sweat and tears its about letting loose.

naaaaaa' date=' it's about bustin' the sickness! whOOOOOP
[/quote']

You are born a mtbiker...

The pearls don't come with the bike. So dry your eyes, and go find a road bike somewere.

cut' date=' cut, cut

i just got back and man was i disappointed.

cut, cut, cut

Maybe just a bad location.Any mountain bikers out there got some advice or some kind of encoragement or should I trash the MTB idea all together.

[/quote']

Where did most who replied on this thread miss the part that..

A. He was disappointed with the experience..

B. He asked for advice and or encouragement...

Wouldnt option B have been in the spirit of cycling...?

Cyclone, do what a few have advised. Go with others who are not new to MTB. Ride a halfway decent bike if you did not this time around. Do it a few times to see whether you like it. Mtb will give a excellent all round body workout which can only enhance your road cycling.

cut' date=' cut, cut

i just got back and man was i disappointed.

cut, cut, cut

[/quote']

Where did most who replied on this thread miss the part that..

A. He was disappointed with the experience..

B. He asked for advice and or encouragement...

Wouldnt option B have been in the spirit of cycling...?

Cyclone, do what a few have advised. Go with others who are not new to MTB. Ride a halfway decent bike if you did not this time around. Do it a few times to see whether you like it. Mtb will give a excellent all round body workout which can only enhance your road cycling.

I grew to love mtbike. I fell , i climb'd some mean stuff. I broke stuff. ( me and the bike). I own both. the road bike gathers dust. I love the gt, I put it between me and my car. When I walk past it in the morning, I get a funny grin on my face. When I'm depresed, 10 mins on the bike and I'm on top of the world. I want to go on an expidition everytime I drive out my gate.

*** DIT IS LEKER...

Whatever you do don't give up on Mountain Biking.

Do what some of the other posts suggested.

Go out again with a Mountain Biker who can show you some good trails.Won't be long before you are completely hooked. YOUR ROAD BIKE WILL SOON START DEVELOPING WITHDRAWAL SYMPTOMS.

Tokai is awsome to ride. If u only did just over 1 hour I think you may have missed the best partsDisapprove I sweat more MTB than on road Road is so much easier to ride. But I enjoy both.

Give it another shot its awsome

[/quote']

Agreed.

The major difference between MTB and road for those just starting MTB is the lack of rhythm. On the road, the rhythm comes easily; offroad, you constantly have to fight for it. It's something you just have to expect and accept. It takes a few rides to get into mountain biking, but once you've got into it, you never want to get out...

Got to say reading through this and seeing the mixed responses it is quite understandable. Was a risky post, the initial wording was bound to tick of the MTB'ing community, while it ended with a request for advice.

Anyway I started off MTB'ing, then bought a road bike to assist in my MTB training. Road is faster, you feel like a little porsche, where as MTB is more like a 4x4, a (Landy Defender if on Hard Tail LOL). The major thrill I get out of MTB'ing is the adrenalin. Racing down hill, ideally on single track, knowing at anytime there may be a rock, ditch, etc waiting to throw me off my bike. Even better meeting up with this obstical and beating it. Funnily I also love the hills, long difficult climbs, where you can't just apply all the torque in your legs, because you don't have the traction the tar road provides. Here you learn to control torque, you use your whole body in climbing a technical hill. Wow, after all that I think I need to go out for a ride!Smile

As for the not breaking a sweat, you couldn't have pushed hard enough (sticking with the general sentiment of the other posters), or perhaps as the locals have mentioned done the right routes. I set myself ever increasing goals on MTB, if a hill becomes too easy, I throw it out of my training, otherwise a set a goal of climbing it quicker. You need soft sand, it will be found in most races and it hones your balancing and torque control skills. It also aid you dealing with mud, however sand is no match real slippery mud.
Daxiet2009-03-21 23:59:46