MTBers - why oh why?

Joe Low

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you had to ask' date=' you probably won't understand the answer.

[/quote']

doesnt advance the debate much does it?

and remember i'm asking why u ride 2 feet off the tar rd, not on a parallel gravel/dirt rd - i can see y u'd do that.

It's actually a bit saver as you don't have to worry to much about a truck hitting you from behind!

It's more fun, sometimes almost like single track.

I enjoy cycling, bi-cycling, motor-cycling, re-cycling!

I think let's re-cycle this! smiley8.gif

If you had to ask' date=' you probably won't understand the answer.

[/quote']

doesnt advance the debate much does it?

and remember i'm asking why u ride 2 feet off the tar rd, not on a parallel gravel/dirt rd - i can see y u'd do that.

t.h.a.t.s  w.h.e.r.e   t.h.e   f.u.n   b.i.t.s  a.r.e

that' date=' and the fact that you can go where you WANT to go, and not fear a 2mm thorn in your path, or a couple of loose stones.

[/quote']

every time i get on my roadie bike (about twice a year LOL) i have a hard time remembering to stay OFF the fun bits.

Fact is' date=' riding off the road is just more fun. More obstacles, more chance to hop them, and you get more training into your ride off the tar - more rolling resistance = more effort to go same speed.

[/quote']

i kind of enjoyed all this digging up of pavements for cables a while

ago, made the fun bits far more interesting with new variations every

day Big%20smile

cat-i2009-03-22 10:51:57

I did raise this with a guy in real life, pointin out it was smoother & easier ridin where i was. Muxman tells me he just muttered f*@k off at me - doesnt sound like he was havin much fun.

,pologies 2 Nance re: tyre wear if there's somethin in that.

Joe, its not about being smoother and easier and rushing to your destination. Its actually an enjoyable experience being on your bike. If it takes longer, all the better.

If I wanted smoother and easier I would just sit on my rollers and watch TV.

I look for loose climbs, slippery rocks, rough single track, off camber, puddles, whatever.

You might also find an element or traffic paranoia there as well. I last road a road bike 20 years ago and was nearly killed by a Putco bus on that ride. I don't choose to play Russian roullette on our roads.

I did raise this with a guy in real life' date=' pointin out it was smoother & easier ridin where i was. Muxman tells me he just muttered f*@k off at me - doesnt sound like he was havin much fun.

,pologies 2 Nance re: tyre wear if there's somethin in that. [/quote']

there's your problem: taking muxie's word about anything. i mean, look at the trouble he caused over your panorama entry! that guy is bad news. btw, nil-five, nil-five,nil-five, nil-five, nil-five, nil-five, nil-five, nil-five...we were lucky to get nil smiley4.gif

ps, it wasn't six, was it? left the pub before the final whistle smiley9.gif

Am on the rd south of Jhb and see a lot of mtbers and very often they'll ride two feet parallel to the road on dirt. Why make life hard for yourselves b4 you plunge off into the bush proper - if there's a road there what's the problem in using it

the answer is obvious,

im on my mountainbike, not my road bike, if i wanted to ride on the road then i will ride my road bike,

thats it, mtb=OFFroad,

roadbike= boredom,misserable, AND ONROAD           

Well thanks folks, interesting if not enlightening on the actual question.

Very reasonable responses from some - inc. Dirtbreath, thanks.

Twas 5-0 Holy, tnx to the Villans for helping us on our quest to tumble the scum from the top of the log.  Ur goin there next week so see what u can do for us again.

Well thanks folks' date=' interesting if not enlightening on the actual question.

?

Very reasonable responses from some - inc. Dirtbreath, thanks.

?

?

Twas 5-0 Holy, tnx to the Villans for helping us on our quest to tumble the scum from the top of the log.? Ur goin there next week so see what u can do for us again.
[/quote']

ok, ok...but were my responses on the question on a par with dirtbreath's or not? smiley1.gif

Haha! I was being completely facetious about the tyre wear. I had no idea there was any truth in that.

Now that I fully understand your question Joe, my main reason would be to stay as far away from cars as possible.  You've ridden with me on the road before and know how nervous I can get about dem trucks & cars, if (whilst I was riding out souf wiff you boys) I was able to do the same on my road bike, I would.

So I guess we all have different motivations

oh.... I also love the feeling of gravel under my MTB