low budget question

pino

I have a question/problem

I will be doing the Grabouw xterra for the 1st time in April and have borrowed an old MTB from a friend. This MTB comes with MTB clip pedals, but i do not have the MTB cleats that fit on these so i was thinking to :

a) put my shimano spd road pedals on the MTB and use my road shoes.

or

b) see if there are any MTB cleats that will fit on my olympic road shoes.

What would you guys suggest ? Remeber its a low budget question, so buying new shoes is not an option.

SPD cleats aint expensive and you should get away far under R100. Out of curiosity what size shoe do you wear?

Guest Agteros

Option B so long as the shoes can take a the cleats

I have a set of SPDs at the bottom of Olympic road shoes...

Agteros2009-03-23 11:56:49

Should have a pair of Olympic mtb shoes with cleats you can use then if you are interested. They are old but still useableWink

my olympic road shoes also take the spd cleats ( they do require sightly longer screws with mine as the standard ones do not always catch the shoes thread) but what i was wondering about was if anyone ever uses their road spd set up un a mountainbike....will the spd pedals cope with the dust etc ?

Dont use your road shoes or pedals they will never work properly again!!!!

ok wait sorry i used mine in my first ever MTB race the magalies monster and i almost died so you might get away with themturtlek2009-03-24 00:39:23

Option C

Purchase a cheap set of flat pedals and cycle in your running shoes.

Option C

Purchase a cheap set of flat pedals and cycle in your running shoes.

Probably the best option....if you have to borrow a MTB, thenobviously you will lack some of the skills. This equates to a lot of neerdonner, not so much fun if you are fighting cleats on top of it.....Ouch

If you  are on a budged you must go to MR price sport they have cheap shoes +- R300 and Game in centurion have a pair for +- R270

You can always use it in the spinning class.

Gman18342009-03-24 01:49:55

Option C does make sense as I can assume you are not accustomed to MTB and especially technical or Single track riding .... and the Xterra will be technical ... especially if it is Grabouw.

So accept that you will be walking a couple of sections.

Good Luck and Enjoy ... welcome to dirt

Hairy

Even "normal" pedals with those straps would be sufficient...I rode with straps for almost a year.....no problemo & a bit better than just plain old pedals...

Just keep them nice and loose for fast dismouts!!Smile

hi guys...thank you all  for coming up with option C....think i will go for it.  Am indeed not an experienced mtb rider ( downhill still scares the crap out of me) so it will be a challenge anyway.

I also think option C is they way to go.

If you can find a pair of old fashioned plastic toe clips, fit that too, but take the strap out.

I rode my first MTB like this many years ago... steel frame and rigid fork.

This helps to keep your feet on the pedals while still allowing for fast dismounts.

There was a time when you could get strapless clips, which was design for above purpose. Don't know if they are still available.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41JMTVDWX7L._SL500_AA280_.jpg