A few MTB build questions - HELP !!

racman

Ok, so I just bought this below (thx GTJimmyThumbs%20Up) to go with my new "Tread" mag, and am going to start the build soon. As a newbie to MTB riding (actually taking a 2nd shot at it), there are a few things I need to clear up before ordering parts from CRC or LBS or CWC.

20090407_065954_20090227_024427.jpg

Ok so for now:

1) Front derailleurs:

a) Shimano seems to ave two types - Conventional and Top Swing. 

What are the different applications and what do I go for. SRAM seems to

only have one type - why?

b) Some reccomend a Shimano XT FD with SRAM rear Der - Why?

2) Rear Derailleurs - Medium cage, Long cage and then also Rapid rise from Shimano - what goes with what and what should I get?

3) Crank - I use 172.5mm for road - which size do I get for MTB

4)  Stem - Road I use 100mm stem but it seems that most people use very short MTB stems - why etc

5) SRAM seems to far simpler design than Shimano but yet far more expensive if you compare top of range items. I would consider SLX in Shimano and X7 in SRAM - which do I go for or are they not similar? (Opens can of worms gently .....LOL)

6) Discs - what size rotors for fron & back?

7) Wheels - I see centerlock hubs and 6-bolts hubs - what gives, why and what should I buy.

Lastly, my idea of the build - please feel free to comment (although the hub has never needed an invite before but I just thought ....Big%20smile)

1) FD, RD, Shifters - Shimano SLX or SRAM X7/(or X9) - both Trigger shifters

2) Brakes - Avid Juicy 7's or ?

3) Wheels - What cheapish wheels - need to be tubeless I am told

4) any reccomendations on cranks ?

5) Shock/fork - thinking of 100mm and possibly the RST that kiwi brings in - comments

Please assist as it will be a while before I win the Treads MAg IBIS Mojo Wink so I need to build the HT to last, and plan to do short and stage races (more like tours for me but..).

I wait with baited breath .....

Of course any bargain, good quality parts etc available please pm me.
racman2009-04-07 07:26:35

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok' date=' so I just bought this below (thx GTJimmyThumbs%20Up) to go with my new "Tread" mag, and am going to start the build soon. As a newbie to MTB riding (actually taking a 2nd shot at it), there are a few things I need to clear up before ordering parts from CRC or LBS or CWC.

Hey Racman,

Goodluck with the build<

Ok so for now:

1) Front derailleurs:

only have one type - why? Have never used a Sram always Shimano?? it was cheaper to do this when I upgraded

b) Some reccomend a Shimano XT FD with SRAM rear Der - Why? X0 and xt/deore front and it works well

2) Rear Derailleurs - Medium cage, Long cage and then also Rapid rise from Shimano - what goes with what and what should I get? ??? I use a medium cage

3) Crank - I use 172.5mm for road - which size do I get for MTB

4)  Stem - Road I use 100mm stem but it seems that most people use very short MTB stems - why etc

5) SRAM seems to far simpler design than Shimano but yet far more expensive if you compare top of range items. I would consider SLX in Shimano and X7 in SRAM - which do I go for or are they not similar? (Opens can of worms gently .....LOL) SRAM works 100% of the time Big%20smile 

6) Discs - what size rotors for fron & back? for a hardtail 160mm 0r 180mm on the front 160mmm on back

7) Wheels - I see centerlock hubs and 6-bolts hubs - what gives, why and what should I buy. Just depends on the hubs your wheel comes with no difference

Lastly, my idea of the build - please feel free to comment (although the hub has never needed an invite before but I just thought ....Big%20smile)

2) Brakes - Avid Juicy 7's or ? Great brakes

3) Wheels - What cheapish wheels - need to be tubeless I am told yes

4) any reccomendations on cranks ?

5) Shock/fork - thinking of 100mm and possibly the RST that kiwi brings in - comments just changed my 80mm on my hardtail to 100mm made it more comfortable.

Please assist as it will be a while before I win the Treads MAg IBIS Mojo Wink so I need to build the HT to last, and plan to do short and stage races (more like tours for me but..).

[/quote'] Goldmember2009-04-07 07:43:05

Brakes: 160mm rotors front and back will do the job if you have the right brakes. I'm still impressed every time I ride the 'Goose. It has bottom spec Tektro Aguira Comp and they are strong!

Hubs: Go with 6-bolt rotors if you can. Centrelock has a different tool that you'll need to buy.

Wheels: If you're buying over CRC you'll find that their wheels are very well priced. My last order included a custom front wheel build on a Hope Pro II hub that cost under R900. In the shops you'll pay R1000 for just the hub. Set yourself a budget and get a nice set within that.

1) Front derailleurs:

only have one type - why? What ever works on your frame' date=' I personally like the look of top swing.

b) Some reccomend a Shimano XT FD with SRAM rear Der - Why? Not a fan of SRAM, so go XT rear and if you want XT front, but SLX/LX is just as good. Have heard SRAM RD's are difficult to get setup, have not confirmed this.

2) Rear Derailleurs - Medium cage, Long cage and then also Rapid rise from Shimano - what goes with what and what should I get?

3) Crank - I use 172.5mm for road - which size do I get for MTB -Covered in some recent Tech Q&A posts, but the norm is 175mm.

4)  Stem - Road I use 100mm stem but it seems that most people use very short MTB stems - why etc -Shorter better control (80-100mm)

5) SRAM seems to far simpler design than Shimano but yet far more expensive if you compare top of range items. I would consider SLX in Shimano and X7 in SRAM - which do I go for or are they not similar? (Opens can of worms gently .....LOL)

6) Discs - what size rotors for fron & back? 160mm - the idea behind bigger is heat dissiptation, but 160mm work very well for XC and I've found larger discs bend easier.

7) Wheels - I see centerlock hubs and 6-bolts hubs - what gives, why and what should I buy. XT XC M775's Center Lock - Shimano's take on the disc mounting. Then go with Shimano Brakes as well. If you don't go Shimano brakes, then look for 6-bolt hubs. May raise many eyebrows this comment, but to each his own.

2) Brakes - Avid Juicy 7's or XT - bad experience with Avid's?

3) Wheels - What cheapish wheels - need to be tubeless I am told - Don't need to be tubeless (plenty debate), but if you go with XT XC M775's they are tubeless comp. but not that cheap R3500-R6000 depends on where you find them.

4) any reccomendations on cranks ? Without a doubt Shimano SLX

5) Shock/fork - thinking of 100mm and possibly the RST that kiwi brings in - comments Minimum considering what you seem to be building Rockshox Recon Race Air 100mm. Being an HT XC setup, you could do with 80mm travel, but I would go 100mm.

[/quote']

1) Front derailleurs:

only have one type - why? I think Sram does make both but get the conventianal one (think it's to swing) BUt remember to make sure it is bottom pull. Commencal frames have their cable like road bikes.

b) Some reccomend a Shimano XT FD with SRAM rear Der - Why? Because Sram is crap Wink

2) Rear Derailleurs - Medium cage' date=' Long cage and then also Rapid rise from Shimano - what goes with what and what should I get? I think you should get long cage, high normal. Only if you are going for dual shifter should you go for rapid rise

3) Crank - I use 172.5mm for road - which size do I get for MTB 175

4)  Stem - Road I use 100mm stem but it seems that most people use very short MTB stems - why etc measure the cockpit of the roadbike and get the same

5) SRAM seems to far simpler design than Shimano but yet far more expensive if you compare top of range items. I would consider SLX in Shimano and X7 in SRAM - which do I go for or are they not similar? (Opens can of worms gently .....LOL) SLX. I do not like the way the Sram shifter work

6) Discs - what size rotors for fron & back? 160 front and back but if you can get a 140 rear. Looks hot.

7) Wheels - I see centerlock hubs and 6-bolts hubs - what gives, why and what should I buy. Does not matter. Centerlock discs are more expensive

1) FD, RD, Shifters - Shimano SLX or SRAM X7/(or X9) - both Trigger shifters SLX

2) Brakes - Avid Juicy 7's or ? SLX or 5's should be fine

3) Wheels - What cheapish wheels - need to be tubeless I am told Not gonna get cheap tubeless wheels. Look at Fulcrum Metal 5s

4) any reccomendations on cranks ? SLX

5) Shock/fork - thinking of 100mm and possibly the RST that kiwi brings in - comments Those forks looks the sniz at a amazing price

[/quote']

Hubs: Go with 6-bolt rotors if you can. Centrelock has a different tool that you'll need to buy.

Same tool used to install/remove your rear cassette, if you're building your bike, you will need this tool anyway.

Just find if going with Shimano brakes, you have more choice in the Shimano rotor field if you go center lock. However there are more after market 6-bolt rotors out there.

Thx for the comments and help so far.

Now where are the rest of the MTB hubbers...?

Mampara - I was thinking of the Fulcrum Metal 5's anyway - Thx

So from above - shouldn't I just go for complete SLX groupset including brakes?

Anyone know of the best LBS to get a good price on this or complete build, in JHb or Cape Town?
racman2009-04-07 08:10:02

you can fit 6 bolts rotors to a centerlock hub using an adapter (Kiwi also sells them) but you can not fit centerlock rotors on a 6bolt hub.

If I'm not mistaken, the RST fork that Kiwi brings in is for a 29er.

If you want the full range of gears using an 11-32 cassette use a long cage derailleur. A medium cage might leave you with one or two gears short and you'll end up cross-chaining quite a bit.

As for the rest, Mampara has answered.

first spend all you money on the wheels. (then the fork)

Ok, so I've spent all my money on the wheels - now how do I pedal the damn thing !!!!LOL

I understand though - thx

If I'm not mistaken' date=' the RST fork that Kiwi brings in is for a 29er.

If you want the full range of gears using an 11-32 cassette use a long cage derailleur. A medium cage might leave you with one or two gears short and you'll end up cross-chaining quite a bit.

As for the rest, Mampara has answered.
[/quote']

He brings in a 26er now as well - but please don't rush before I get oneBig%20smile

Thx Thug but there are new questions that Mampara hasn't answered yet Wink

I see CRC has SLX crankset at around R1400 and XT at about R1700 (looks like older XT). WHich one to go for?

More advise on shocks please - which are the best supported wrt service etc in SA?

Gripshift or trigger?

pedals - which type?

Why are there specific MTB saddles - surely a comfortable saddle is the key or am I missing something?

I see CRC has SLX crankset at around R1400 and XT at about R1700 (looks like older XT). WHich one to go for?

More advise on shocks please - which are the best supported wrt service etc in SA?

Gripshift or trigger?

pedals - which type?

Why are there specific MTB saddles - surely a comfortable saddle is the key or am I missing something?

The SLX stuff is really nice, I would go for that.

Shocks - I think Rockshox and Fox are the most popular around here. Maybe ask your LBS what they can work on, and what's easiest to maintain?

Pedals - For flats, I would get Shimano DX. They're unbelievable! For clips, I would get the Eggbeater Candy.