Road vs Mtb

fandacious

I like coming pip... it's part of the progression, and will only drive me harder to get better so that next time I won't fall.

It's also all about perception (as someone else said) if you think you're going to fall, you're going to fall. If you think "oh crudbuckets! I hope i make this!" chances are, you're less likely to go down like a Russian hooker in tourist season.

Me, I'm all for MTB. So is my girlfriend. She feels safer (even though she's fallen a few times) because of the lack of cars, and she is in control of her own actions - not worrying about someone else's all the time. Our road bikes have been hanging since the Argus - not ridden once. We've been to Tokai 2 to 3 times a week since then, and we've been getting better ever since. And a ride isn't a ride until you've fallen at least once.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a roadie at heart, yet tend to spend about as much time on the MTB as on the road bike. Have yet to have an accident on the road bike, but have had my fair share of injuries from MTBing - and they were all self inflicted. I think the difference with road riding is that there are factors outside my control (like cars), where as all my crashes on the MTB have been in some way or another my own fault.

How many roadies die every year?

How many mtbers? I would guess almost none compared to the roadies.

If I had a choice in a crash I would MUCH, MUCH rather come off a mtb, than on a roadbike hitting tar. Sure you crash more on a mtb, but 99% of the time a crash on a roadbike is way bigger.

there's really no comparison, and if you ride road and mtb regularly you should know this....

If I had a choice in a crash I would MUCH' date=' MUCH rather come off a mtb, than on a roadbike hitting tar. Sure you crash more on a mtb, but 99% of the time a crash on a roadbike is way bigger.

there's really no comparison, and if you ride road and mtb regularly you should know this....

[/quote']

all my crashes on mtb have been way worse than on road. Montagu Krakadouw - 'ambulance' had to pick me up. Jonkershoek - lost most of the skin on my leg, ass and arm. Helderberg - sif gash in arm, rosties on leg and blue/black ass.

Road - 3 crashes. torn clothes but only a few roasties that healed in about a week and 1/2.

depends on how fast your riding either on road or MTB. Logic can only tell you that speed on a road bike is higher, thus crashing and hitting the tar can be very bad.

while MBT you fall more often but softer - but obviously you can crash into a tree on single track going 30km/h or more, that would not be fun.

I would say from my perspective - being a OK - good Mtber and Roadie - that if you crash on the road your out, while MTB your more likely to end up with cuts and bruses.

We all will bail sometime or another, road or dirt it is not if it's when, get up dust yourself off and move on, learn the skills of falling. The more you train and ride, the bettre you get and you will be less likely to fall, obey the rules of the road, its mostly in our hands anyways. As Gary Player says: "the more you train the luckier you get!"

Besides showing off roasties and bruises to our mates in the pub and bragging about seeing your ring peice is why we ride in the first place! The pain goes, but epic bails live on!

I would say ROAD cycling!! but then I must also ad that im a bit scared to try mountain biking coz I might end up liking it more than road cycling Wink

MTB for sure!!! But, then on the other hand, I've never done road cycling and the roads nowadays are way to dangerous to ride on....even in a car!!!

For me, it also seems that roadies are snobbish and does not welcome new riders...maybe because I've never ridden in a bunch....MTB requires no bunch riding, just you, your bike and the singletrack in the veld.... smiley2.gif

all my crashes on mtb have been way worse than on road. Montagu Krakadouw - 'ambulance' had to pick me up. Jonkershoek - lost most of the skin on my leg' date=' ass and arm. Helderberg - sif gash in arm, rosties on leg and blue/black ass.

Road - 3 crashes. torn clothes but only a few roasties that healed in about a week and 1/2.

[/quote']

OK Fanie bere nou daai fiets voor jy jouself seer maak, jou ma het geroep LOL

depends on how fast your riding either on road or MTB. Logic can only tell you that speed on a road bike is higher' date=' thus crashing and hitting the tar can be very bad.

while MBT you fall more often but softer - but obviously you can crash into a tree on single track going 30km/h or more, that would not be fun.

I would say from my perspective - being a OK - good Mtber and Roadie - that if you crash on the road your out, while MTB your more likely to end up with cuts and bruses.

[/quote']

I disagree - it is the slow speed falls that seem to do all the damage - the ones where you get enough time to stick out hands and arms to try to break the fall.

The high speed crashes that I have had on the MTB I tend to bounce more,  sort of like the super bike riders when they fall... Wink

I disagree - it is the slow speed falls that seem to do all the damage - the ones where you get enough time to stick out hands and arms to try to break the fall.

The high speed crashes that I have had on the MTB I tend to bounce more' date='  sort of like the super bike riders when they fall... Wink

[/quote']

i have a buddy with the motto: speed is your friend.

and i agree, velouria: enough speed, and you can clear stuff that you can't when you're too slow. Big%20smile

I would say ROAD cycling!! but then I must also ad that im a bit scared to try mountain biking coz I might end up liking it more than road cycling Wink

ooooh marks don't try mountainbiking then - you'll be hooked for life - think of all the SCARS you're gonna get!  LOL

all my crashes on mtb have been way worse than on road. Montagu Krakadouw - 'ambulance' had to pick me up. Jonkershoek - lost most of the skin on my leg' date=' ass and arm. Helderberg - sif gash in arm, rosties on leg and blue/black ass.

[/quote']

OK Fanie bere nou daai fiets voor jy jouself seer maak, jou ma het geroep LOL

Big%20smile Of hy gaan my breek of gaan hom breek. Ek dink sy einde is nader!