Morewood XC Bike

Wallee

I see in my first subscription issue of Tread Magazine Thumbs%20Up that Roan Exelby is riding a "prototype Morewood XC and Marathon" bike. Anyone from Tread have inside info on what Patrick is up to? Are they making them locally? Judging by their 2009 bikes, it has to be hot! 

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Morewood has been building XC bikes for a while now . Not a bike for the race snakes but a XC bike anyway . All build in SA .

I was hoping for a carbon frame, but if that is the same bike in the picture, then it is clearly not carbon.

im not sure but the bike himself and David leiman have been racing is a hardtail carbon frame (im pretty sure about that) so there is some hope for a light weight moorewood bike

Shova's not realy a XC bike. Yeah you can ride XC and do races and epic/marathon rides, but 140mm 3.3kg frame is not realy suited to that type of riding.

A 120mm trail / xc dual or 100mm HT willdo the trick. In general Morewood's are lot more affordable than comparable bikes. Mbuzi is 18/19k. El Guappo is R25k, I'm sure Firebird will be between that and R30k, Nomad is R27k...that's a lot of moolah.

I wouldn't mind a light 120mm to complement the Mbuzi.

did bit of base training with roan this year. himself and dave leiman are riding morewood prototype xc bikes that they and patrick morewood are developing. Sounds like what they do is they work out how and what frame they want built, like the angles and lengths of tubing etc, patrick build a frame, they ride it while testing at the same time, give some feedback and then patrick might build new frames to new spec etc. As for the material i remember roan saying something about it being a "new" type of aluminium, i think most of the bikes around at the moment which are alu are like 6000 series alu and the alu they using is like 9000 series or something like that

I asked about a possible morewood xc bike a few months back when I saw XLB's results saying 'full imput-morewood' as his team, but when I saw them ride passed me at the epic prologue they looked to be riding alloy hardtails, actually looked like basic giant frames........

I'm really hoping Morewood does makes a nice lightweight xc race bike, full suss of course, there's enough hardtails around, be it carbon or alloy.........

ok, he can make me an alloy SS bike with an EBB.........16" seat tube, 3.75" head tube, 22.9" top tube, 30.9mm seat posts.........68mm BB width......hmmm.....what else.......oh, nickle plated headtube badge. Thanks.

Hey Dont wright off Ali boys... Setting up a carbon manufacturing facility Is MOERSE expensive and unless Morewood get their carbon frames manufactured by someone else I cant think  that he will Do one soon. He will then not be "proudly south african" anyway.

theres many lightweight ali bikes out there, and I beleve one can make a racebike from it.

carbon is overdone.....leave it for the roadies and taiwanese factories, calssic hand welded alloy frames with spot on geometry still gets me going.......

either way from Morewood have been doing over the passed years, he won't make a dud.......a xc bike will serioulsy raise his profile in SA 

Mmm....somehow 'The Bikes That XC Built' just doesn't have the same ring to it....maybe that's just me