Nokia N79 Active

DerangedCage

Can anybody tell me if the Nokia N81 8GB has an internal gps receiver ? Or dod I have to purchase the receiver to make sportstracker work?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anybody tell me if the Nokia N81 8GB has an internal gps receiver ? Or dod I have to purchase the receiver to make sportstracker work?
It does not have a GPS, the gps module can be bought seperate but then you are going to ride with a Phone and external GPS module Not worth it, rather Upgrade if you can. 

Hi Guys Curretnly have a N79 have had it for over 3months. I am not impressed with it. I am on my second phone and looks like I will be getting a 3rd one very soon. The quality of the phone is very bad,first phone did not even make it through the weekend and I only collected on the Sat. Took it back to the shop and complained and was told nothing wrong with phone by vodacom tech. I said he cannot be much of a tech if he could not pick up that something was wrong. Sent my phone to Nokia for them to check it out, had to sit with out the phone for 7days(so much for the 7 day return policy) Nokia sent back a new phone as it was faulty. Vodacom tech was busy when I asked to see him. Second phone is working a little better than first unit but I still have some of the same problems as with the 1st unit. Have complanied again and still to this day I am still waiting for Vodacom to get back to me(nearly 2 months) got sms the other day saying my problem has been resolved,when I called them no one could even tell me what my complaint was about in the 1st place nothing logged on the system.

Have not used the features of this phone as I am too scared to just in case I get blammed for the phone braking. Got the phone for the sportstracker which the sales person knew nothing about by the way.

I am a big Nokia fan but this has changed my view on the brand and of vodacom and the poor service that they give to clients. I am currently thinking about driving over the phone with the car, but the only problem is I would get stuck with the same crap phone again.

Oh has anyone tried to call the emergancy line from your phone??? Tried to use it on Friday night and was told they are having a large call volume we will attend to your call once someone is free, never mind the guy was bleeding to death.

Hi Guys Curretnly have a N79 have had it for over 3months. I am not impressed with it. I am on my second phone and looks like I will be getting a 3rd one very soon. The quality of the phone is very bad' date='first phone did not even make it through the weekend and I only collected on the Sat. Took it back to the shop and complained and was told nothing wrong with phone by vodacom tech. I said he cannot be much of a tech if he could not pick up that something was wrong. Sent my phone to Nokia for them to check it out, had to sit with out the phone for 7days(so much for the 7 day return policy) Nokia sent back a new phone as it was faulty. Vodacom tech was busy when I asked to see him. Second phone is working a little better than first unit but I still have some of the same problems as with the 1st unit. Have complanied again and still to this day I am still waiting for Vodacom to get back to me(nearly 2 months) got sms the other day saying my problem has been resolved,when I called them no one could even tell me what my complaint was about in the 1st place nothing logged on the system.

Have not used the features of this phone as I am too scared to just in case I get blammed for the phone braking. Got the phone for the sportstracker which the sales person knew nothing about by the way.

I am a big Nokia fan but this has changed my view on the brand and of vodacom and the poor service that they give to clients. I am currently thinking about driving over the phone with the car, but the only problem is I would get stuck with the same crap phone again.

Oh has anyone tried to call the emergancy line from your phone??? Tried to use it on Friday night and was told they are having a large call volume we will attend to your call once someone is free, never mind the guy was bleeding to death.
[/quote'] Punk the N79 Active was launched this Month, are you referring to the N79 or the Active?The Return Policy is determined by the Network. Finally what are the problems you are having? 

I don't know what you people are all on about over phones and GPS.

If you want GPS then get a Garmin!!!

Since I got mugged a while back I don't carry my phone with me anymore....less weight, less clutter in my pockets and if it rians I don't need to worry about water damage on my phone the whole time.

Wait till you are  mugged oneday.... no phone, no GPS, no cycle computer and think of all the info you will lose with the phone when it gets stolen or water damaged ie contacts, calendar entries etc etc etc, unless of course you backup your phone periodically...which most people don't do.
Speed Devil2009-05-11 11:06:06

There must be data usage when live tracking is enabled. Just wondering how much ..........

Would that also have an effect on battery life?
 BB data for Livesharing is about 150Kbits per Hour, so work that out from your Package data costs, not that much. Battery Life should be ok for 3hours depending on which phone, last year I did it for 94.7 and the battery life went down to half.      

There must be data usage when live tracking is enabled. Just wondering how much ..........

BB data for Livesharing is about 150Kbits per Hour' date=' so work that out from your Package data costs, not that much. Battery Life should be ok for 3hours depending on which phone, last year I did it for 94.7 and the battery life went down to half.      

[/quote']

Thanks for the info!

Guest Agteros

BB data for Livesharing is about 150Kbits per Hour' date=' so work that out from your Package data costs, not that much. Battery Life should be ok for 3hours depending on which phone, last year I did it for 94.7 and the battery life went down to half.      

[/quote']

Shocked A 1H30 94.7? shucks I wish I could do that!!!!! You should be stoked about your seeding for this year? LOL

ps: i know it was not what you intended saying/meaning, but .... it is too good to let go

Agteros2009-05-11 11:11:19

[/quote']

Shocked A 1H30 94.7? shucks I wish I could do that!!!!! You should be stoked about your seeding for this year? LOL

ps: i know it was not what you intended saying/meaning, but .... it is too good to let go

Big%20smile Gonna be asking my money back for my education, if I can write a letter that makes sense. No wonder they called me Shortbus at school.    

Hi Wheelsucker, sorry refering to the N79 which also has sports tracker ???

I have the 6110 navigator, battery life is not great using sporttacker but for short rides up to 2 hours it's good.

• 2 weeks later...

Can you clarify. Does NST on the N79 talk to a standard Polar Wearlink strap.

If so you've just made my day.

Nokia haven't released the N79 Active bundle in the UK and as an existing owner of a N79 would much prefer to only need to buy the strap on its own.

Wudang2009-05-26 09:37:18

Guest Agteros

Can you clarify. Does NST on the N79 talk to a standard Polar Wearlink strap.

If so you've just made my day.

Nokia haven't released the N79 Active bundle in the UK and as an existing owner of a N79 would much prefer to only need to buy the strap on its own.

It does NOT, It needs the bluetooth transmitter

Agteros2009-05-26 09:42:42

• 3 weeks later...

You get the bluetooth strap when you buy/upgrade to the N79 'Active'...you get only the phone if you get the N79 Ciclismo2009-06-11 12:04:15

• 3 weeks later...

After reading i decided to join up with you guys - went out and got the N79 Active - plenty on stuff on the phone - only problem - how do we put it on our bikes ?

Anyone have any ideas?