Bringing back a whole bike

longweasel

A mate of mine is going to the states this week and wants to bring back a whole bike. What will he have to pay on the way back in? what will the duties and vat be. The LBS says their prices are the same round about 7% more expensive. Checked it out its more like 14%

Has anyone brought a bike back and what was your experience. What is the best way to get hold of a new bike? what about warranties.Why cant the prices just be relevant so that we dont feel forced to take our business elsewhere.

take an old bike out and dump it. At least you have it on paper that you took one out and you brining it back, as you were riding over in a few races. that how i brought my battaglin in but that was 4 years ago.

Hmm good idea, if he did that he would declare it on the way out? Now you have to wonder how much it will be for the bike box.What if he is traveling with someone split it up and called it spares?

I know an oke who brought in a 125cc MX bike - him and a couple of chinas LOL

the customs guy at the airport will take your entire list of items bought, then deduct R3000 from the value and then charge a flat 20% on the remaining total........you have to pay him cash and you don't get a receipt......otherwise they detail the item, give you a slip and tell you to come back with a SAD500 and SARS release......

Hmm good idea' date=' if he did that he would declare it on the way out? Now you have to wonder how much it will be for the bike box.What if he is traveling with someone split it up and called it spares?[/quote']

Then best his friend flys a day later, because if customs has two declarations for bicycle parts from the same flight, chances are they will smell a rat.

Its an old ploy taking a similar junked product out of the country and bringing in a brand spanking new one in its place, customs is well aware of this ploy and will ask for and check serial numbers, identify it as per colour, condition, completeness etc on the form. If the product returned is not as per the form you will be asked WHY?

Have a good excuse ready or be prepared to pay full duty plus vat plus a possible fine.

Dont underestimate SARS (customs), long gone are the days of gormless incompetant oafs riffeling through your bag for illegal Penthouse magazines, todays customs officials are well trained and have some of the best systems in the world in place.

Anything you can think of now to avoid paying duties, has been tried 200 times in the past and they know them all.

Basically the best way, is to just pay your duty and walk out feeling good about yourself.  The biggest problem I see in this country, is that if folk spent the same amount of time productively, as they do trying to cheat the system, we would have roaring economy.

Pay your duty and be honourable, walk out with your head held high and not wondering if SARS will be waiting around the corner, bikes are much cheaper in the USA, be legal, you will still save money - sounds like a win/ win to me.
porky2009-05-10 09:40:10

Sounds like the start of a debate on pricing again. I hear you just pay it and get it done.Focus on riding and nothing else matters.Like i always say if this is the biggest problem in our lives, we have it good! smiley2.gif

Just support a local bike shop rather than trying to beat the system.

Also have you seen the price for overweight baggage..... huh?

Sounds like the start of a debate on pricing again. I hear you just pay it and get it done.Focus on riding and nothing else matters.Like i always say if this is the biggest problem in our lives' date=' we have it good! smiley2.gif [/quote']

Naa, not really,I meant just "do the right thing" dont play the low game.

I also tend to agree, "We do have it good.!" Wink