Junior gear ratios

Eugene

I was just reading an invite for junior riders to participate in a certain event and they listed the gear ratios that junior riders may ride with.

It got me thinking...........I have often seen or heard that they must ride with these restricted gears, but nowhere have I heard of wheel size.

If a junior were to ride with a smaller wheel (650 c) as opposed to the normal wheel (700 c), that smaller wheel would also have an impact on the ratios. Are the juniors allowed to compensate for this when choosing gear combinations or are they expected to use the std ratios as written in the rules?

In any tour, the restrictions are limited by gear ratios. This is so the comms can just walk through and check the gears. all other events they have a certain distance they have to roll in. Crank bottom vertical, backwards till its again vertical, should fall in this distance. tyre size, wheel size, front and rear gear size has an influance.