Gansbaai skills track - more pics added

Gansbay

i come down to de kelders with a friend every now and again, if you ride into gansbaai from that way on the main how do you get to the skills tarck?looks super schweet!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Turn left just past absa, you will see the jumps.  The track is a bit more difficult to find.  Ride along the dirt track past the jumps up and over the hill and follow it for another 100m or so.  Before you get to a dirt road look for the track on your left.  As more guys ride it will be easier to find.  Unfortunately our signs get swiped!

Leet22 - thanks, but that's what we do well too

When was this track build? My granparents stays in Gansbaai and we come and visit every now and again. Next time I come, I will be so be trying out your track

Gansbaai - was this taken with a pop up flash, or a mounted one? Looks very much like 2nd curtain sync to me?

WindblownPE, dangerdassie, raymondC? 1/60 is VERY slow - and even tho the flash does freeze the movement, there is almost too little motion blur visible for that setting?

Gansbaai - was this taken with a pop up flash' date=' or a mounted one? Looks very much like 2nd curtain sync to me?

WindblownPE, dangerdassie, raymondC? 1/60 is VERY slow - and even tho the flash does freeze the movement, there is almost too little motion blur visible for that setting?
[/quote']

Hi Ronelle - I used a Vivitar flash mounted on the camera (old flash converted to a lower trigger voltage for the Canon EOS 10D) on it's automatic setting (the flash, not the camera)  I used 1/60th because that is what I had to set it on with my old film Minolta. 

Model - Canon EOS 10D
Orientation - Top left
XResolution - 180
YResolution - 180
ResolutionUnit - Inch
YCbCrPositioning - Centered
ExifOffset - 196
ExposureTime - 1/60 seconds
FNumber - 3.50
ISOSpeedRatings - 400
ExifVersion - 0221
ComponentsConfiguration - YCbCr
CompressedBitsPerPixel - 3 (bits/pixel)
ShutterSpeedValue - 1/60 seconds
ApertureValue - F 3.50
ExposureBiasValue - 0.00
MaxApertureValue - F 3.50
MeteringMode - Multi-segment
Flash - Not fired
FocalLength - 28 mm
UserComment -
FlashPixVersion - 0100
ColorSpace - sRGB
ExifImageWidth - 3072
ExifImageHeight - 2048
InteroperabilityOffset - 2330
FocalPlaneXResolution - 3443.95
FocalPlaneYResolution - 3442.02
FocalPlaneResolutionUnit - Inch
SensingMethod - One-chip color area sensor
FileSource - DSC - Digital still camera
CustomRendered - Normal process
ExposureMode - Auto
White Balance - Auto
SceneCaptureType - Standard

Quality - Fine
Flash mode - Not fired
Sequence mode - Single or Timer
Focus mode - One-Shot
Image size - Large
Easy shooting mode - Manual
Contrast - Normal
Saturation - Normal
Sharpness - Normal
ISO Value - 400
Metering mode - Evaluative
Focus type - Auto
AF point selected - Manual AF point selection
Exposure mode - Tv-priority
Focal length - 28 - 300 mm (1 mm)
Flash activity - Not fired
Flash details -
Focus mode 2 - 65535
White Balance - Auto
Flash bias - 0 EV
Subject Distance - 0

Below is another shot I took from the side and it seems to go with madmarc's explanation

20090528_142717_IMG_1194.gif
Gansbay2009-05-28 14:34:04

thanks Gansbaai! Embarrassed

(interesting  to note that the exif doesnt pick up the flash activity..)

I am quite new in this photography story - and have not got a new dedicated cannon flash yet.  I have a techno friend who does weddings, and he mentioned that the cannons have very low trigger voltages, while most generic flashes have quite high voltages.  He rewired my old flash with a modem transformer and relay and dropped the voltage from 130 to about 5!, and I have had no problems with the flash - except that the data does not pick it up it! 

The weather is really miserable outside - although the airforce base nearby recons we can go for a quick spin at 11!

So have been messing about on the pc, added some composites of the track as well as a pic of the new jump designed to throw you a bit higher and further!

20090530_010240_001.gif

20090530_011021_003.gif

The composite above was taken before we added the section seen below

20090530_010908_002.gif

Gansbaai - was this taken with a pop up flash' date=' or a mounted one? Looks very much like 2nd curtain sync to me?

[/quote']

20090528_142717_IMG_1194.gif

20090604_150324_IMG_2326.gif

Hi Ronelle and madmarc - my daughter took another shot with similar lighting (slightly more light with less cloud and used same f-stop (3.5) and the camera set 1/3000.  We did not have the flash with us but would it work as a fill in flash at that speed?.  I read the manual and it seems it could only sync up to 1/200.  So even though it is quite dark the sharpness is ok creating a reasonable silhouette shot.

Hi there - Is anybody able tro ride this track and if so were in Gansbaai is it??

Started this post with the photos below - but suddenly wondered if hubbers can help.  I have posted some more photos of the track we have built to help local children to improve their bike skills.  Quite a few township kids have come to ride - most without helmets.  Can anybody help with small or medium helmets (they can be used' date=' just not broken!)

More photos of the track later in the thread.

20090528_045319_gansbaai_009.gif

One for the photo experts: Took this photo with a camera mounted flash - but can'y figure why there is a shadow in front of the bike and a ghost effect at the back.  Any ideas?  The ghost effect is more noticable on  the original.

Below a pic of the beach ride at low tide - good training and not too hard on the bike maintainance.

20090528_045618_gansbaai_008.gif

[/quote']

Hi there - Is anybody able tro ride this track and if so where in Gansbaai is it??

Yes MP77 - anyone can ride it - it is in the process of being built by local riders.

So far it has a short single track section (loop) of about 1km

with some technical (more fun than difficult) bits.  Then there is a jump section with some fun bits, see the pics!

If you come along the main rd from stanford, turn left just past the absa bank and you will see it.  The trail can be tricky to find (directions already posted in this thread, but you can contact us through the LBS.

Also if anybody is keen to know where to ride in Gansbaai area, send a post with what you like and we'll tell you where to go!

Cheers