Rave: Fox South Africa

Capricorn

3 weeks ago, I ordered a full face DH helmet from the Fox store in Canal Walk. They didn't have my size in stock,and said they would order it. It would take about 5 days to arrive, so I should call the following week. I did, but they told me the helmet hadn't yet arrived. It was stuck at the distribution center in Durban, but they would continue to follow up and let me know what's happening. Fair enough.

Another week passes, but no helmet. SPeak to the store staff, ask whats going on. Same story: issues with the distribution center. I ask if they can arrange some sort of discount for keeping me hanging so long. They will speak to the store manager, who I later heard, agreed to some sort of discount. Frankly, I just want the helmet.

Anyway, another week passes, and I call tonight to find out whats happening. Store staff inform me they have no idea what the problem is. The Helmet is there, just not finding it's way to Cape Town.

My patience has now thoroughly worn through. I ask for some contact details and names of people up at the Durban distribution center.

I decided this is complete BS, because I dont understand how even the store manager can't fix this bit of incompetence. I look up Fox International, and fire off emails to three separate addresses I found on the Fox international website.

What happened next kinda left me simultaneously shocked and heartened.

I received a call from one Ian Calvesbert, European Managing Director for Fox EMEA. The connection was flaky, but he was calling from Portugal to let me personally know (at 19h20) that he is looking into the matter, and will endeavour to resolve it from his side. I presume because of the poor telephone connection, he sent me an email confirming our discussion.

About 20min later, I receive a call from one Gary Green. I dont know his exact title, but I presume he is the director for Fox Africa, as it was Gary Green that Ian Calvesbert CC'd. He listened to my account of events, and explained his findings on the matter (findings already? ). He believes the problem is at the store, but he would launch a full investigation as the fall out unfortunately affected Fox and its products. Apparently, 7 other customers have been given the run around at the store wrt helmets. One lady lost her marbles in store and told them to sod off. Another customer requested head office details as I did because he too wanted to get to the bottom of the problem.

Gary then asked me for the specific model and color scheme I was looking for. Unfortunately, that specific color scheme is a bit hard to find, even in the American channels IIRC. But he said he could arrange for a helmet in that color scheme to come directly from the manufacturers in China. Either that, or they had a helmet with another color scheme in stock at the Durban distribution center. Note: no one had at any time informed me another color scheme was available.

At that point I felt almost embarassed as this would entail quite a bit of effort. I wasn't too fussy, and rather opted for the currently in-stock helmet with different color scheme in Durban. All he asked was for my delivery details, and said it would be couriered down to me personally within a day or so. All I would have to pay are the landing costs. I dont know what that is (and forgot to ask!), but he said it was way less than the store price.

I just received a confirmatory email from Gary which is quoted below. I am super impressed with Gary and the Fox management team.

Hi Mr. Matthews

Many thanks for your email. The helmet will be sent to you by courier during the course of the day tomorrow. If any of your friends have had similar experiances regarding poor service on Fox products I would urge you to get them to contact me directly so I can attempt to assist them and deal with the source of the problem. Thank you for your understanding and for affording is the opportunity to restore your faith in the Fox brand.

Best regards

Gary

I'm so impressed i'm literally slack jawed. Anyways, will update this thread once I've received the feedback he promised me. I am very interested to know how this damn shambles came about.

So everyone that's placed an order with that Fox shop in Canal Walk, Cape Town, and was given the run around, let me know.

Capricorn2009-06-02 14:03:37

I Know the Distributor of the Fox MX goods in Western cape, He comes in for coffe each day as Some of my colegues ride MX with him.

I will bring this under his attention. The mullets in the shop Isnt doing the brand good.

I Know the Distributor of the Fox MX goods in Western cape' date=' He comes in for coffe each day as Some of my colegues ride MX with him.

I will bring this under his attention. The mullets in the shop Isnt doing the brand good.
[/quote']

Hey BOS1000. No worries. I think that has the correct attention. No doubt he crackberry/mobile has been bleating a bit with messages from Gary Green.

I cant say it enough: I am damn impressed, and not because of their generosity, but because of the speed of response. I guess its simply a case of: when money's tight, service is king.

Sad reality with a lot of retail peoples attitudes in Cape Town. With times so tough you'd think you would not have to resort to what you've done. But good on Fox for the follow up.

yeah, what i've done.. I 've reflected a bit on that, and the ease and speed of response from Fox almost makes me feel my actions were overkill. But the reality is: the service was bullsh*t, and it reflects on Fox, and it might not even have been their fault all along! Something is broken and it needs serious fixing. Fox was willing to appease the customer, but i hope someone's head rolls.

You dont get to the top with a team of slackers. You find the culprit(s), take him/her/them into a backroom,and 'flog' the sh*t outta them. Either they leave that room changed, or they leave. Period.Capricorn2009-06-02 14:19:15

I think you waited too long.

I would have been calling HQ after a week of run around. If you are told a week delivery, thats what you expect, anything longer is not acceptable and you have a right to complain. Dont feel embarrased, its your money and your right.

Thats basically the problem with 99% of SA consumers, they feel embarrased to complain, and when they do complain they are happy with a free coffee and a promise of better next time.

Bulls**t, I lived in the usa for a few years where customer service is still light years ahead of anything we see in SA - Fox international bases their service on USA standards so I am not surprised they called you, in any other country it would be expected, demanded even, No, dont feel bad, you were completely in the right.

Porky, my Dad is over in the States and he tells me it so different there with customer service. He use to always rave about Woolies service till he walked in WalMart.

capricorn, most of the fox stuff i've bought has come from russell campbell racing. occassionally they haven't had the colour scheme, size or whatever of what i'm looking for. always had a prompt response from their online guy. quick, efficient, friendly.

Thing that gets me excited about this tread is that slowly but surely SA consumers /. customers are getting to see what real standards of customer service are about; companies that call you back when promised, with the info you requested.

End of the day your either in business to do the best possible or you're just waiting to go slowly (or possibly very quickly) bust! In the current economic climate anything but the very best customer service is just speeding up the hanging of a  'closing down sale' sign in the shop window - maybe the down turn will actually do some good....!?

Good on Fox for showing how it can, and should, be done

Porky' date=' my Dad is over in the States and he tells me it so different there with customer service. He use to always rave about Woolies service till he walked in WalMart. [/quote']

Yah, Walmart is not the most successfull retailer in the world for nothing, their service level is just superb.

What always stood out for me in the service cat. in ALL areas was nobody will argue, if you complain, they will put it right AND further compensate you for the issue with a gift or something, even if its not really their fault.

SA business has the attitude of "if you dont like it, go elsewhere" - and usually I do.!Wink 

The local Fox guys are great! I ordered a Rampage Helmet and some Straffer DH shorts from the rep that calls on our store, that was on a Monday. I was riding that weekend, and he said it should arrive by Friday. The next morning (Tues), my package arrived Shocked Big%20smile

The shorts had small mark on them, sort of a sun stain or the like. I brought it to the reps attention. The warehouse staff said that all the 28" Straffers had the mark, by the next morning we had received a 40% (off the shorts) credit note. I was happy to save some $$$.

10/10 to the local Fox agents!

Clap

Guest colonel

I Know the Distributor of the Fox MX goods in Western cape' date=' He comes in for coffe each day as Some of my colegues ride MX with him.

[/quote']

Lee only comes into your shop cause he is gay and like begin around manly men. Watch out for him!!

[/quote']

Do you mean Weeman?

[/quote']

Lee only comes into your shop cause he is gay and like begin around manly men. Watch out for him!!

Whaha!! Oh sh*t!! thats Funny! Cause the guy he visits here Is suspect to! hahaLOLLOL

I think Its "short man syndrome", but for all I know He could be your Brother so let me not say anything nastyWink

Guest colonel

[/quote'] Lee only comes into your shop cause he is gay and like begin around manly men. Watch out for him!!

?

?

Whaha!! Oh sh*t!! thats Funny! Cause the guy he visits here Is suspect to! hahaLOLLOL

?

I think Its "short man syndrome", but for all I know He could be your Brother so let me not say anything nastyWink

No he aint my boet I swear. I've just smsd him to tell him I know he goes to shops to check out other guys.

[/quote']Do you mean Weeman?

Yes Weeman. Dude you shouldve seen him ride a 450, funnier sh*t than that you will not find. Awsome guy thou always makes me laugh. Got alot of time for him.

I received the helmet yesterday.

20090605_050300_post-180-124414.jpg

20090605_050326_post-180-124414.jpg

and this morning, I was informed I woldnt need to pay a cent... smiley3.gif smiley20.gif