Tri bike

Newboy

I got permission to do Iron Man again, so I am looking for a time trial bike. Any recommendations. I am leaning towards a P3 or a Spez. Only want to buy a frame and build it up myself. Size 58cm if you have anything lying around in that size.TryBoy2009-06-09 07:41:35

edit - Kiwi beat me & posted a the pic first

PlanetX frame is fairly cheap. I drew up a spec for a friend on a budget, could go for nicer components with a SRAM Force gruppo etc. 
Christie2009-06-09 10:56:51

Hi Cannonfodder,

Frame 1370grams (Medium), Fork 360grams, Aero Seatpost 266grams (400mm), Seat Clamp 42grams

Hey Kiwi, maybe also tell him that you race your own equipment, and that you do very well with it. LOL (I squizzed your Tour Durban results, very nicely done)

I got permission to do Iron Man again' date=' so I am looking for a time trial bike. Any recommendations. I am leaning towards a P3 or a Spez. Only want to buy a frame and build it up myself. Size 58cm if you have anything lying around in that size.[/quote']

My humble opinion is that you're going about it the wrong way! If you want to spend the sort of money you mention do proper research

Tri geometry and setup is a much more complex animal to oad bike setup, and tri geometry bikes differ significatly from each other. A Scott and a P3 (both high end bikes) has significantly different geometries

You first need to determine whether you ride steep/ shallow, low/ high in front aggressive or laid back setup.....LOOOOOONG before you worry about carbon this or aero that or P3 this or that looks fast.

I recomend you start by reading the articles by Dan Empfield on the subject of choosing a tri bike. Check out slowtwitch.com

I got permission to do Iron Man again' date=' so I am looking for a time trial bike. Any recommendations. I am leaning towards a P3 or a Spez. Only want to buy a frame and build it up myself. Size 58cm if you have anything lying around in that size.[/quote']

My humble opinion is that you're going about it the wrong way! If you want to spend the sort of money you mention do proper research

Tri geometry and setup is a much more complex animal to oad bike setup, and tri geometry bikes differ significatly from each other. A Scott and a P3 (both high end bikes) has significantly different geometries

You first need to determine whether you ride steep/ shallow, low/ high in front aggressive or laid back setup.....LOOOOOONG before you worry about carbon this or aero that or P3 this or that looks fast.

I recomend you start by reading the articles by Dan Empfield on the subject of choosing a tri bike. Check out slowtwitch.com

In my last IM I rode a P2 that was set up pretty relaxed, high upfront.  I am a lot more flexible now and would go a bit more agressive. What I need to know is how the geometry differs from a P2 to a P3 to a Planet X or a Spez?