Cyclist Not Obeying Road Rules

Shakes

Hi

I just heard on radio Algoa's morning moanterist; about a bunch of roadies who jumps a red light at the intersection of William Moffet and Circular Drive. about 5:05am

This is really really shocking, especially with all the recent deaths.... Cry

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Was the road clear when they crossed the intersection? If so, probably safer to move through with no traffic then staring up a bunch through a queue of cars.  If they blocked a motorists right of way then they are indeed idiots, but it has nothing to do with the road rules - just common decency.  As for the old "house in order" chestnut, I will obey all road rules as soon as motorists don't speed, jump red lights (happens at every intersection on every light change on my way to work), pass other vehicles (incl bicycles) safely etc.  They say people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, in which case motorists have no leg to stand on at the moment.

I was sitting in the bath when I head that coming over the radio. I wasn't in that specific group, but met up with those guys for the 5:30 bunch. The corner where this happened you can clearly see cars coming from both ways, and isn't really the place you want to be waiting for a green light. As someone SMS'd in, if you stop at a semi-dodgy corner with your car at 5am, are you going to sit there and wait, or slide across?

Was the road clear when they crossed the intersection? If so' date=' probably safer to move through with no traffic then staring up a bunch through a queue of cars.[/quote']

I've been at that intersection MANY times cycling at that hour. If it so happens that there is ONE car there, that's allot, that intersection is super quiet at 5am. It is also pretty much a T intersection, not a full 4 way crossing.

Was the road clear when they crossed the intersection? If so' date=' probably safer to move through with no traffic then staring up a bunch through a queue of cars. If they blocked a motorists right of way then they are indeed idiots, but it has nothing to do with the road rules - just common decency. As for the old "house in order" chestnut, I will obey all road rules as soon as motorists don't speed, jump red lights (happens at every intersection on every light change on my way to work), pass other vehicles (incl bicycles) safely etc. They say people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, in which case motorists have no leg to stand on at the moment.[/quote']

I agree with you 100%, I commute often to work and have the same experience as you, Motomoaners do not adhere to the traffic rules, speeding, overtaking on solid lines and my best for this week, driving in the cycling lane and hooting at the cyclist using it?

It is OFTEN SAFER to go when ALL cars are stationary at a traffic light. I speak from experience and so far, every time I obey the road rules, is when I almost get hit by a car.

I look after my OWN safety 1st, and 2nd try to obey as many road rules as possible.

My 9 cents....

smiley1.gif

There can't be much going on in PE if they report this over the radio. Do you guys know that JZ is the country's new president?

Support the Cycle Safe campaign as an individual or a group. I do agree that it's safer for a large group to stick together while going through an intersection but try to do it legally. If you're riding alone and it feels unsafe to stop, I fully understand.

Nothing much happening here' date=' no, just the way I like it Big%20smile

Who's JZ?
[/quote']

That's the way I like my PE too.... nice!!Smile

you buggers in PE got all the support for JZ party Thumbs%20Down

Anyhow that's done. Don't think ppl doing stunts like this is of any concern for any of us.

I mean taxi's and car drivers do what they want on the road and you never hear a newspaper complain about that. Everything and anything one does you do on your own risk and no one has to tell you what to do.

So if ppl wanna jump relights, not wear helmets or drive without safety belts its their own problem.

What should concern us all is :- Illegal drivers, "kakmaakers"/skollies (stolen cars) and drunk driving - these are the f**kers that kill us on the road!

I am so pleased to see that there are some reasonable number of informed opinions out there.

Of course that means - people who think like me . . . look after yourself and you are less likely to hurt others, sometimes the letter of the law is realy stchoopit !  Clap