Retro Bicycle Thread

Delgado

Those Nervex lugs look great and deserve to be chromed. Well done, the frame looks amazing.

Any reason the BB lug was not chromed? I am asking as I don't know.

Will check my parts supply and let you know if I can assist.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm building a 1953 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo. Just got the frame back from the paint shop and it is looking amazing.

It is quite a challenge to find components from those early days of cycling, I need the following items to complete the build 1) bottom bracket italian 2) rear brake, universal brev 453949 3) bars usually very narrow 38cm 4) compagnolo skewers. Is there anyone able to assist with securing these parts?

I have attached photographs for anyone interested.

I have narrow 380mm Cinelli bars that you can collect in Cape Town or have for the cost of posing them to you. I'm not sure of the vintage though and they might need a tiny little bit of bending to get them perfectly straight.

I tried to replicate Fausto Coppi,s 1953 bike on that bike the seat post, fork and head set lugs were chromed, the BB lug was painted. The 1952 bike had a painted seat post lug. In any event in preparing the frame we had to chrome the entire frame.

I got the decals from Italy, the seller is listed on EBay

I have narrow 380mm Cinelli bars that you can collect in Cape Town or have for the cost of posing them to you. I'm not sure of the vintage though and they might need a tiny little bit of bending to get them perfectly straight.

That's good news. I'm also in Cape Town. When and where could I come to collect.

That's good news. I'm also in Cape Town. When and where could I come to collect.

I've sent you a pm

Almost ready for the burn!

I was just going to say stop showing off with all those vintage bikes in the background until I realised that this photo was taken at Woodstock Cycles and the Bianchi and yellow Eddy Merckx are mine that is in for a service :D. Picked up my Eddy Merckx this morning beautifully cleaned and serviced by Nils and the guys. 

I'm building a 1953 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo. Just got the frame back from the paint shop and it is looking amazing.

It is quite a challenge to find components from those early days of cycling, I need the following items to complete the build 1) bottom bracket italian 2) rear brake, universal brev 453949 3) bars usually very narrow 38cm 4) compagnolo skewers. Is there anyone able to assist with securing these parts?

I have attached photographs for anyone interested.

I am busy restoring exactly the same bike. These parts are pretty hard to find... Do you have the original Bianchi crankset?

I am busy restoring exactly the same bike. These parts are pretty hard to find... Do you have the original Bianchi crankset?

No, I have been unable to get the original Bianchi crankset. I have gone with the Stronglight 49d crank that was produced in the period.

Good luck with your build, is your bike complete or are you also wanting to find parts.

Posted the bike at last. After crashing into a stationary car, my dad had to replace his beloved Peugot frame with this Cadex CF frame. The components of this build is therefore mix-and-match combination of various old and new (more of the former).

This is currently my commuter / road-bike. Since I spend 95% of the time in the mountains, this bike doesn't always get the TLC she deserves.

http://i.imgur.com/gdaZmQx.jpg

(Giant) Cadex CFR - frame circa 1992. Campy Wheels. Shimano 105 Groupset (Handlebar shifters). Zefal top-tube-mounted pump.

Posted the bike at last. After crashing into a stationary car, my dad had to replace his beloved Peugot frame with this Cadex CF frame. The components of this build is therefore mix-and-match combination of various old and new (more of the former).

This is currently my commuter / road-bike. Since I spend 95% of the time in the mountains, this bike doesn't always get the TLC she deserves.

(Giant) Cadex CFR - frame circa 1992. Campy Wheels. Shimano 105 Groupset (Handlebar shifters). Zefal top-tube-mounted pump.

She is a beauty indeed.

That stem?!

Thanks for all the advice guys, I have the same issue with using a NOS set of Mavic Hellium wheels I picked up a few months back.

Badsam, those wheels look great and it's going to be a great looking bike when you finished.

Talking of HELLIUMs, I'm looking for a rear, if anyone finds one.

No, I have been unable to get the original Bianchi crankset. I have gone with the Stronglight 49d crank that was produced in the period.

Good luck with your build, is your bike complete or are you also wanting to find parts.

Also looking for parts. Also missing original "Bianchi" crankset, hubs, bars, stem etc. Don't think I will find them any time soon. I have got a Magistroni cottered crank and Gnutti chain rings (Period). I do have the original Bianchi cottered axel thankfully.