Replacement Brake Pads for Alligator Discs

Just put some Alligator rotors on the bike due to the stock Tektro Auriga comp ones bending like a cape flats tin roof in a winter storm.

Problem is, the stock Tektro pads aren't biting as readily. I put this down to them being

1: They're crap

2: They're sintered, so the fact that the rotors don't heat up as much due to the better cooling properties is preventing the pads from getting up to their proper operating temp

3: They're crap

Question is, which pads should I upgrade to? I'm still pretty heavy on the brakes on the downhills (still classed as an intermediate rider in some areas) but I need something that will grip from cold and yet still have the ability to stay "in" when the heat rises.

The pad pattern I can use is the same as that of the Deore disc brakes, so availability shouldn't be a problem.

Should I go organic, or semi-metallic, or remain with sintered and just get a better brand of sintered pad?

Which Alligator discs ?

If they are the "windcutters", I'd strongly recommend metal sintered. Anything else will soon have metal on metal.

EBC make a top quality metal sintered pad but availability can sometimes be a problem.

I have the same problem with my windcutters, the pads dont last longer then 3 months... definatly need to change my discs

I put on the 180 mm TiNi Alligators Windcutters on my Scandal. But beforehand I made sure that I read up on what those discs were like. Every review on MTBR said "metal sintered".

I just bought them 'cos they look pretty.

Absalon - Sintered pads can be bought from any reputable bike shop. Either that, or at any of the online stores... Chain Reaction Cycles, for instance.

where do you get them from?

From my LBS.

The local agent is on the hub "MTB Kid"