The Downhill Thread

DownhillingKing

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

this is especially for Murray and Jason, who previously told me to jack up my rebound. Murray, remember you said my ride feels dead, and jason once said it appears i need to increase the rebound?

Read this thread over at Ridemonkey, especially the inputs from PUSHIND, and what others say about the WC riders. It was just my experience to reduce the rebound for those very reasons, but I just couldnt articulate the exact reason why.

Remember I also said that below a certain speed a bike feels one way, then past another high speed, it just starts to feel right? that link has all the reasons as per my experience. Each to their own in the end, but way slow rebound really works for me.

NB: not saying one of my other settings cant do with improvement, but so far, it feels right.

Capricorn2010-02-07 02:06:31

why and where (fork or shock?) Explain please smiley1.gif

btw: how do you know whether it has too little or too much rebound anyway? Going thru the gnar, she tracks just fine. Only reason my front washed out previously was running too high a ?front pressure.

I cant wait to ride a different frame, but IMO, the Xtension is more of a plough bike. Just point her into the mess and away you go. Everytime I've been surprised just how well she sucks up some big edges in a recurring fashion, with never once bottoming out. That's not a problem of too slow a rebound.

Capricorn2010-02-07 10:57:58

responsive to what? if she dont loose traction, then you cant finger rebound. and she tracks just perfectly from my experience.

Well, I went riding yesterday at the mill. And it was pretty windy.

As I was approaching the main big double on the track, I was already committed, and a huge gust blew from nowhere.

So in the air my bike got blown totally sideways, and i ended up falling, getting a face full of dirt, a bar end in my abdomen, and a HUGE gash in my knee. It was a hole in my knee.

Obviously that had to happen on THE day I forgot to take my knee gaurds smiley7.gif

So now I can hardly even walk on my knee, oh well, thats my lesson learned.

oooo dayum mitch. hope it's just superficial damage with no mechanical damage to your knee. I had serious knee damage for a few years, and it causes no end of sh*t. So here's to cosmetic damage...

Murray: i'm buying a spare mech. Cheap these days. Just under R600 from CRC. costs a tad over R1k at the LBS. Sickening..

Yes I know LBS prices are way tooo expensive but with my old discount I could get the X9 for R750. I thought you had a X-7 that you wern't using. I think I'm going to try out the saint side of things o yes and I'm going to order that 9" rotor comes with an adaptor too.

O and I'm getting 5.10's tomorrow!!! yeah!

oh you're right Murray: i do have that old X.7 here. Dont suppose you wanna get me that X.9 then with that awesome discount? smiley2.gif

Is it the 2010 X.9?

you gonna be super stoked with those shoes. they have sick grip and are VERY robustly built. As i said before, it really feels like industrial safety shoes. Oh and please note: 5.10s initially arent that sticky, but get better with use. It's almost as if the rubber needs to be worked in a bit.

09..hmm. quel dommage. I must admit though, I didnt particularly like the X.7 because for some reason or other, I always had shifting glitches. Bought it brand new too. But to be fair, i think the problem wasnt the mech, but rather the techie who adjusted it.