The Downhill Thread

DownhillingKing

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Giant DH Team which has been up for sale but I have been thinking would it not be really cool if I built it up again with better parts. What are your opinions on that frame or do you guys not really know?

there is always someone out there wanting to enter the sport of DH without blowing a wad of cash in the process. So go for it DHK.

As for your drop outs: you only need one. How badly damaged is the broken one? If too badly, or badly worn, then one new one will suffice in terms of gnireenigne esrever it.

Wait was that answer build it up or sell?

Drop out just bent but the threads also striped, the thing is though it has bent at a weird angle and will never be able to straighting it fully!

build it up AND sell smiley17.gif

stripped thread is a non issue, as the thread spec can be taken from the rear mech/holding bolt whatever your setup.

never say never, especiallywhen a hammer is near. I think Patches will agree with me. The broken one can be reversed engineered.

Well I can do that just by buying a front hub but I want do it up with hope pro hubs single track rims shimano 105 RD and your other e13 that you have then I will have to sell the bike for like 12k and still make a loss.

Okay well when I get a new one will show you how it has bent I have tried to straighten it which resulted in stripped threads

build it up AND sell smiley17.gif

stripped thread is a non issue' date=' as the thread spec can be taken from the rear mech/holding bolt whatever your setup.

never say never, especiallywhen a hammer is near. I think Patches will agree with me. The broken one can be reversed engineered.

[/quote']

"percussive maintenance"... that's the hammer's job. haha!

But yeah, Calipers, verniers, CAD... a little time and know how (not much cos it's really quite simple) and tadaah! You got yourself workshop drawings for a new drop out to be machined smiley1.gif

Went out to the new track yesterday and helped Vince and Chris finish it off. OMS. so nice.

A brief description of the track but don't hate me if i get it slightly wrong cos I only did a sighting run and my front tyre was a tad flat so I spent most of the run trying not to crash.

Start

steep roll in to a deep gully and out

steep roll in to another deep gully and out

over a ladder bridge

into a gulley

hip jump

another hip thing

steep down to the step up

step up

tiny drop

rock drop to berm

rock to ladder bridge step down

rock drop

small road gap

jump

rock drop

another small rod gap

rock garden

pedal

jump over creek

end

I haven't included all the features in the track but i'm sure you get the feel. There's sooo much going on all the time that you just can't relax on this sucker at all.

some pics.

This is Vince working on the step-up taken from the landing

20100226_030141_IMG00062-201002.jpg

One of the drops. we moved the landing a little closer

20100226_030249_IMG00060-201002.jpg

The berm straight after the drop. We cleaned this up a little too.

20100226_030423_IMG00059-201002.jpg

The rock to ladder bridge step down

20100226_030516_IMG00057-201002.jpg

your_name_here2010-02-26 03:17:15

It's gonna stay. I'm not sure about the legality of riding there after the race. The only real issue is getting to the top of the track as the shuttle road we are using is on private land.

There is another road we used yesterday but is was hectic and I wouldn't recommend anyone driving up there without a really good 4x4. I got up there in my double cab but it wasn't fun.

Access is easy from the N2 but turning a shuttle car round on the N1 is another story all together tho if you were to use that as a shuttle road.

is the dh track on private land. and would it be safe to leave your car or bakkie at the bottom of the track?

Ja the track is on private land.

there's a really nice open piece of land where the "pits" and shuttle pick up will be. The track ends about 200m up a dirt road from there.

There's a nice little dam right there is you want to take a dip