The Downhill Thread

DownhillingKing

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Which raises the question - isn't a large part of the problem that the guys are not yet used to there being regular races in CPT and that the advertising is not reaching everyone?  This is not a criticism in any way - more like trying to get everyone to focus on how to increase support of these events so they are self sustainable.

Also' date=' does Chris or Vince have an account where guys can donate cash to support their projects?  This would allow guys who can't attend to support anyway and prevent them from losing their own personal funds and giving up in future.

[/quote']

Hey man. I hear your views on the whole advertising thing but: There was a FB group with plenty of invites. I personally know at least 20 people that knew about the race and didn't show. Greg Saharin who isn't even riding yet cos of an injury came to watch and support. Chris put up signs at various schools and at Tokai.

In Natal they have a rider pool of about 50 and most of those 50 show for the races. They essentially have 2 track to ride. We probably have a rider pool of around 200 and FORTY FIVE people show up.

I hear you and you're right - Capetonians are slack in general when it comes to this kind of stuff.  We are a bit spoiled here cos the guys can just head out to Paarl or Tokai anytime and have some fun.  I would have loved to join, but had other prior commitments and in general I would find it difficult to get the entire day free for myself.

As far as advertising: a lot of people avoid facebook like the plague...  I ride Tokai 3 - 4 times a week and I saw no signs.  I'm not saying it wasn't there, but it certainly didn't get my attention.  Schools are great and very important so that's cool.  It's the working guys that have the money and are hopefully willing to support financially, even if they can't attend themselves, to help grow the sport.

I'm serious about the bank account.  I'll put money in there today if I get the details.  Can you put me in touch with Chris directly with regard to this?

Ja i have to agree with you on the Capetonian thing. I also have the whole family commitment thing and I know it's tough to balance the 2 things. I opted out of the Prime Circle concert. That went down like a lead donut with the wife.

Perhaps just come for the practice sessions. I've done that myself before. You get the benefit of the shuttles without the angst of the race itself.

A DH website. that's what we need to get the message out maybe

?

A DH website. that's what we need to get the message out maybe

can i make a fake groan and mutter: Not another one! THere are many sites to choose from. but let's take existing ones and build on it. Facebook is out iMHO' date=' cos i think it' s a cesspool [img']https://assets.bikehub.co.za/legacy_images/smilies/smiley17.gif[/img], thehub and facebook both require subscription. Next.

Crank?

NSRMTB?

Similar to slowrider, I too will contribute to help chris break even, as well as for other events. I will build, and ride, and am willing to pay for it.

Advertising can be improved. Flyers, posters, bulk SMS (this 'push' option might be the best one) supported by websites with details.

Also, one off races dont really cut it. One every so often will be best, as everyone can plan for it. I reckon duane's, and every married DHers wife will appreciate that smiley17.gif

We have paarl, tokai, sir lowry's, that track near Tableview et al. enough for a decent series perhaps?

Ja for sure.

NSRMTB. I reckon that is the one. The guys that run it are JHB based but so what. Tom Roodt is part of the crank team and he is a downhiller. (2010 Glory Giro remedy helmet) I always describe people by their rides and or helmets lol.

I'll ask Vince how Chris did out of the the race and maybe suggest helping out a little. but in reality that is not the solution. Attendance is. At the build days and the races. It's like sex. Always more fun in a crowd. I'm stoked you have said you will attend and help build. One at a time. That's how we grow this thing.

Their are plans for a series. Olympic cycles, Mongoose and bicycling mag have all expressed an interest and Chris has been in talks with them. But once again, 45 people at a race doesn't exactly strengthen out case. I agree that we have enough tracks for a series. 3 at Paarl, Sir Lowry's, Durbanville, Jonkers, Eden.

Tokai is a problem cos the guys that run the forest don't want races to be held there as a general rule. Around 1000 rider descend on tokai per day on the weekends and they don't want us shuttling up and down the road and taking up parking spaces that they can use for people who ride up downhill tracks. Fair enough i guess. There are serious plans for a race in April tho. It fell through last year. Hopefully it wont this year. But don't wait for a race at your local track. Go to the other tracks and become a local there.

Eden is f**ked. Heavy winds from a few months ago blew down a LOT of trees. We could go in there and build around the trees but when they are eventually cleared our efforts will be in vain. Best to wait that one out.

The Durbanville track is a problem in that the owners don't want us using the quarry road for access and shuttling as it is LANK dangerous. The farmer next door will have someone knocking on his door soon tho.

The playground area at Paarl is in the process of being paved so we will probably be barred from riding from the top.

your_name_here2010-03-02 03:34:55

back in  the days they use to have races at Delheim. Some can perhaps ask Spatz Sperling if we cant build there?

The guy that owns the farm that dirtopia is on (delvera) also owns Delheim.I think if there was an opportunity Muerant would have exploited it already. Craig Marshall approached Lourensford when he was trying to set up the bike park and was turned down.

3 - 4 tracks will be enough, especially on a rotating basis. The important thing is to get the thing going and using what we already have at our disposal. I would hope we could manage 3 tracks properly than 3 - 6 tracks poorly. A lot of the stuff is on private land, so once the masses get involved, things can very easily go pearshaped.

Dual slalom course wold be smoking, and very well suited for north vs south type of challenges, where the capies take on the GPs/KZNr's.

Maybe a series is too ambitious for the laidback capetonians, but I hope we can give it a bash. Use the GMM series up in kNZ as a proof of concept?

Capricorn2010-03-02 06:16:21

Theres a DH race in Durbanville on the 3rd and 4th of April. Check out < ="-" ="text/; =utf-8">< name="ProgId" ="Word.">< name="Generator" ="Microsoft Word 12">< name="Originator" ="Microsoft Word 12"><>

www.dirtopia.co.za. I don't know any of the details. Just got the info from the dirtopia newsletter. Should be interesting.

Found out why my bike is so heavy tubes weigh 500g each and tyres weigh 1.5kg each so thats 2kg is there such a thing as a good strong light weight DH tyre??

yes, it's called tubeless smiley2.gif

THanks for CRC suggestion. So far, pretty happy with the high roller at the rear. Just a heads up: Very very sketch in very loose over hardpack.

anyone have any more info on the race YNH mentioned?