The Downhill Thread

DownhillingKing

How the SRS+ looks. Look at the top guide. quite unsubstantial in comparison.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Images/Models/Full/42429.jpg

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

can i watch? :rolleyes:

subrosa's? dont know that brand?

Also Spanks.

I travel so slowly downhill at the moment, brakes are almost optional

Stryder, best tips for downhill, and it seem obvious ...

1)Lower your seat. To a height that lets you peddle if you need to on the flats, but as low as possible, so that its out the way. You will feel more confident when going over steep inclines, helped alot for me! As you get fitter find the lowest height possible, and get strong enough to peddle standing. Sounds easy..... gets tough on the thighs..

2)Get you suspension dialed in. Softer i think than normal XC. But not too soft that you bottom out too much. Im still playing with mine to find the perfect balance. Im fussy... and pedantic on settings.

3)Be aware of your braking. Know when you brake, how often. This gets you dialed in to how strong and hard you need to break at certain speeds. And builds confidence. The scariest thing for me was getting used to how quickly i could stop on a downhill. At first i thought i needed to keep my brakes touching the whole way down, pretty soon I realized i could haul ass and slam the breaks 2m from the corner and stick it.

4)OTHER, Ride as smooth as possible, lean back and you will make most drops and tough sections, use your momentum and you normally make it, do small drops first, then slowly move onto the big stuff. Wear protection, knee pads help alot.

@CAP,

That looks sooo rad!! I cant wait!! Im sure ill be able to modify the topsection so the bashring will fit!

Amped Amped Amped!

These are some tips that i came up with. Im a novice DHer, But think these things i learnt so far helped alot.

loveme.DH/FR.

Thanks a stack for advice!! I do tend to brake way before a corner, but I also have a habit of looking almost directly down at the front whell and tend to be reactive to obstacles rather than seeing them sooner. I need to practice looking up.

My saddle is a bit too high as well I think. Looking at some DH bikes the saddle is almost on the rear wheel.

Do you ride with cleated shoes or flats?

I secured a pair of 510's the other day, how do you stay on your pedals doing jumps and stuff?

Stryder: looking up, along with staynig off your brakes, are your best friends. Remember: what's under the wheels is too late. You will also find that you can brake more appropriately if you are looking up. For looking ahead, you must have a "fuckit!" attitude. Otherwise you gonna boil your brakes :P

For Dh saddle height, it's quite up to the rider. But i must be honest, i've never seen a DH sled with it's seat slammed down that far, unless it was a hardtail. I know of DJ bikes that have the backs of the seats nearly rubbing on the rear wheel. I sincerely doubt a full suspension DH sled will have it's seat, or anything else for that matter near the rear wheel as the suspension movement will cause it to snag that seat or whatever. IMagine that... involuntary assbrake..tsk tsk..

I use flats exclusively, if only because i've never tried riding clipped-in. and tbh, i'm scared shitless of clips. So far, i've had my fair share of feet getting bounced off the flats in the gnar, but in hindsight, it was probably more by body wasnt in the right place at the right time to prevent pedal slippage. But in general, 5.10's + decent spikes = as good as clipped-in.

Flats all the way. I used to bmx. Actually ive got the same pedals i used when i bmxed. I find when you hit rockgardens the trick is to lean back and actually have your foot placed so that its not parallel to the floor but more angled. Hard to explain, see pic attached.

http://admin.swearjar.com.au/images/newsletter/article_1258.jpg

And regards to jumping.. Im not as bashless a i used to be when i rode BMX, but the principal is the same...

Try and float with the bike, keep your body relaxed. You can pull the bike up a little bit with your arms and legs to float mere with it.

Just really relax. Another thing is to compress your suspension just before the jump, this prevents the bike from soaking up the bump/launch as you hit it. That was a weird thing for me, as i always rode hard tail, and could really launch off of speed bumps, then i would hit the same bump, execute the same body movements and id barely feel the bump, let alone get off the ground..

Yeah dont put it too low. A height that its out of the way, and a little hard to peddle sitting down is ok. Ive watched footage frame by frame of me doing some drops, and was really surprised by how close my Kenda blue grooves 2.5s get to the seat. about 2 inches space fully compressed!! so almost touching!

yep, it's probably that, but look at that rider's body position: he is behind his seat, which makes inclining your feet so toes are pointing more up, is almost natural. I was trying to stay in a more neutral position,ie over the bb/seat, which is pretty rough. but why my feet got bucked in that position is cos I was going too slow to begin with. If you go fast enough over rockgardens etc, you dont need to be as far back, u maintain a more neutral position, and the bike just skips over the gnar. But I must admit, it's a lot easier to do that over rock gardens you already familiar with.

Guys, thanks a stack. Quite a lot to absorb!!

I guess to basically practice. Maybe try to get one thing done at a time.

But for starters, I must get the looking ahead thing right. I've realised that, that has to help with cornering, seeing obstacles ect.

Great, when I have that, I'll join on SH and see what happens!

This type of riding is kickass compared to XC I did before. Tights, clips, silly helmets and km's of up and down!!! No thanks.

Watching what those guys at Eden Downhill did a while ago has also inspired me.

Now I am off to unweld my 510's from the pedals.

Also been watching the entire Earthed Downhill DVD series!! Man those guys are sick.

Ja, rockgardens are another breed. Have almost seen my arse a few times with them, but that's been when my speed is pathetic. I've noticed going through with momentum helps.

I'm pretty cool with smaller jumps about 300mm high or so (sounds pretty weak - 300mm!!)

I really must try the pedal/shoe position because there are times I am bucked a bit and that does not give confidence with bigger stuff.

But hey I'm amped, it's such a rad form of the sport.

Was at SH today. Another solo session..

Capricorn, ive extended the rock garden, and made it more rough.. havent had a go cos it was my last run, and was walking up..

Couldnt find any of the tools.. all good though. then end section of SH3 where it leads into the rest of Urban Assualt, is ok.. not really worth doing considering the walk back up.. My fav section is still SH2.

Alot of work still needs to be put into the trails. But im sure it will only take some time and SHDH will be really rad!

lol.. :) i'm going up now. cant wait to try that extended garden. super stoked! thanks dude! i owe you a cold monster. btw: when we gonna hook up to give u the chaindevice?

The bike it's currently is going to Action Cycling to have it removed and have another fitted, along with other stuff that needs fixing on the bike. If u take your bike, might as well the thing fitted there. Up to you :)