The Downhill Thread

DownhillingKing

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

first need to get the replacement frame. Nice thing is, either one of those frames will allow me to do a 99% straight carryover of components. Only oddball item is the BB.

hey cap i still really badly want to get that guide from you!! one day 'ay! Is it finally off your other ride? I hate the fact that i pretty much have to be "careful" on what lines i take, else my chain pops off like a condom on a donkey! haha, sorry i have to laugh at that!

Question:

How often do yall shift when going DH? I pretty much choose my gear at the top and stick to it the whole way down. and generally its the smallest in the rear. So was thinking, how necessary is it to run gears, why not just charge single speed? think of the savings in aerodynamics(wink), less cables, simpler bike, more intuitive, less brake downs...

reminds me of when i used to do BMX, never serviced that bike treated it like ****, bombed massive stair sets, and just rode. It never died... simple. Even did tokai once on my BMX just after sunset... that was insane!

I shift gears abit usually staying in the last 3. Running a 38t up front with the sram dh casset at the back forgot the ratio. Thing is with a single speed what's the point when you still have to have a chain device to keep the chain tight?

hey cap i still really badly want to get that guide from you!! one day 'ay! Is it finally off your other ride?

hey LDF: the bike and guide is down at the shop. If you interested to fetch it from them, and have it fitted, will Pm which LBS, and they can call me to confirm you are taking it.

as for gears, i'm pretty much run the standard setup of the SRAM PG 970 DH cassette (11-26T) and a 36T chainring up front. When out bombing, only use last 2 or 3 cogs.

As for single speed, i think it depends on the track. Some tracks do have pedally sections, then another few gears makes massive sense. Also, if you bail, you can accelerate faster from standstill from a lower gear than a higher one (not to mention less likely to snap your chain).

I very much like Team Monster Energy's new 6 speed setup at the back. Makes massively more sense than a 10spd setup as with SC Syndicate.

that's it DHK, and if you've read that bit by Jason Chamberlain, that double shift story is so true on the downshift. It's actually very irritating.

if anyone has Panik's mobile, pls send him a msg on my behalf that i cant make The Mill today. I have to go to work :(

I thought i had his number, but checked now. nada.