The Downhill Thread

DownhillingKing

boxxers are still on recall. only available end of Nov if CRC is to be believed. ?if the EVO doesnt work for me, i will still get the boxxer, but I think Marzo might have gotten it right.

One dude on MTBR had his for exactly one day, and smashed the fork into a rock and ripped a gash in the lower, spilling all the oil. Poor sod.?

And no, not an issue generic to Marzo. Happens to boxxers and fox as well. Race light to us is not as important as being bombproof. Consumers shouldn't allow hte marketing departments to spin our heads in the direction of getting nearly exactly that which the world cup riders use. They are sponsored forks, so if it blows it's oil all over the track cos the lowers got smashed up: who cares. it's on the of the risks when u trim material from the product to make it lighter.

Consumers whinge and whine and measure the size of their collective epenises against the weight of the product and trash it when it gets 'too' heavy. Frankly, I'm very very thankful for the robust build of my 66. No ways grazing rocks and other obstacles is going to easily rip the side walls of my lowers causing me to totally tank my fork.

Race light should be for genuine racers, and a completely separate market category should exist for those. Maybe it does in terms of the world cup editions of the various branded forks out there. BUt i see it's filtering down to the 'middle' markets, with the only differences being the internals. Problem is, they still race light, but can fit most peeps pockets. So you automatically prone to ripping sidewalsl and stuff if you like going into rocks instead of over and around smiley2.gif

/rant for the morning smiley17.gif

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2007 Yeti AS-X freeride bike (Large)

Frame: 7inch (183mm) Travel - Fox DHX 5.0

Fork:  RockShox Totem Solo Air 7inch (183mm)

Brakes: Avid Code Magnesium

Cranks:  Shimano Saint

Shifters: SRAM X9

R/Derailleur: SRAM X9

F/Derailleur: Shimano XT

Wheels: Mavic DeeMax

Stem: SunLine V-One

Headset:  SunLine

Bar: FUNN Fatboy 711mm

R 18,500.00

seems a decent setup. can that frame take double crown fork? if so, then you have a nice basis from which to upgrade.

Tech Q&A: I was riding Tokai for the 1st time yesterday 'cuz I finally had some free time and a lift..

And I bottomed out my back shock like 3 or 4 times.. But on small drops and stuff... I was riding really chilled, no road gaps or big jumps.. Just like small stuff...

Now does this mean I'm landing badly - like bad technique?

Or should I consider a stronger coil?

I weigh about 75Kg, and I think I have the 350Lbs coil on my DHX4 (Kona Stab '05)

Helpz

darnijl2009-10-18 04:45:09

Tech Q&A: I was riding Tokai for the 1st time yesterday 'cuz I finally had some free time and a lift..

And I bottomed out my back shock like 3 or 4 times.. But on small drops and stuff... I was riding really chilled' date=' no [b']road gaps[/b] or big jumps.. Just like small stuff...

Now does this mean I'm landing badly - like bad technique?

Or should I consider a stronger coil?

I weigh about 75Kg, and I think I have the 350Lbs coil on my DHX4 (Kona Stab '05)

Helpz

Hot damn, my friends were doing that road gap... It's soooo cool.. I'm just a lil' uh... Ya smiley11.gif

Daniel, thats far too weak for you, you need at least 450 or more, im 64 and I ride with 450 and I dont bottom out on anything with +-35% sag. Get a new coilsmiley1.gif

And I actualy want a 550lbs, I was riding around with my rear in 6' mode and its sooo much nicer to chuck around now! much less bobbing aswel = more control and speed on smooth surfaces