The Downhill Thread

DownhillingKing

What crc buddy crc don't get that has the order come through???

Well the hayes rotors are much better they really solid compare to these avids but an extra R200 more each!

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Guys,

I am also into DH......  I have seen Luios a couple of times.....

I useally ride at Klapperkop and maybe once evry 2 months at helderkruin.

I started with DH to improve my XC skills....... and has since found out that I am hopless at turns (incl. berms and flat turns.)

Any advice?

Thanks and cheers!

Pappa try leaning and dabbing the brakes and dont pedal to start off with, then when you fiqured out the actual technique, you can try tkae them at speed (pedaleing). MAKE SURE YOU DONT USE FRONT BRAKES, when you get better and more comfy on the berms and turns, then i find front brakes help allot

No don't listen to jrussel it all wrong! go to youtube and watch greg m on how to corner. come in high on the burm and low out something like that

what's happening that makes you say you hopeless at berms and turns?

Well..... I keep on braking before and during the turn.  It's like I dont trust that my bike can lean over - dont trust the grip of the tires......smiley19.gif

Problem is that if I don't have enough speed coming out of the corner' date=' I uassaly don't have enough speed for the following obstacle like a drop, jump eg.[img']https://assets.bikehub.co.za/legacy_images/smilies/smiley7.gif[/img]

Well I decided to kit up this weekend and see how sharp I can turn before the grip on my tires give....... mentally I will prepare myself for a skid / fall and just turn and see what happens?smiley5.gif

?

i think u shuold do some figure 8s and some slaloms. That will help improve your trust in leaning a lot, help you find your comfort zone in leaning as opposed to turning to take a corner. Even if you do it in teh street with an imaginary

?slalom will help. Dial up the speed each run and just swoop into each turn, letting your body weight turn the bike instead of your handle bars. Once comfortable with that, go back to your favorite berm and start railing it.

Turning on a flat is slightly different as opposed to a berm, as it helps to have the outside pedal (if turning right, the left pedal is the outside pedal) down and your weight going thru it more than the inside pedal. This helps to lean the bike over without you falling over. This technique helps a lot especially with negative camber surfaces. But once you do it naturally on a flat, you will do it on them negative camber turns as well.

another thing that helps a lot is your head position: looking at ?a spot too close to the front wheel, and it will naturally slow you down. Try looking as far ahead as you are can. It actually helps a lot.

Capricorn2009-10-22 08:21:15

pastry and jrussell: best place in cape town except for CRC is actioncycles in cape town. They also the organizers of Urban Assault. Their techs are DHers' date=' and not too shabby either.

[/quote']

Just went there earlier during lunch, they don't have any suitable downhilling shoes :<

So I'm still on the prowl for shoes. Maybe i'll check the DC shop in canal walk..

(also a pair of knee/shin guards were over R1k) smiley19.gif

pastry2009-10-22 09:21:17

Ok whatever DHKsmiley17.gif, all I know is that i flew down DH 1, 2 and 3 in second range and bottom gear even through that last tiny berm at the end of DH2, which is quite a toughy, almost flew over the top, was a pretty awesome day today! also took some jumps ive never done before on DH1 which were quite tricky in that you gotta land beyond some rocks but not too far casue youll end up in the rock garden and wrapped around a tree.

Ive heard there is a DH race this weekend near CT, anyone aware of anything? please could you inform me a littlesmiley1.gif

Today I did a simple run down Signal Hill, and omw, this fork is SUPER PLUSH!

things i had to nearly bunny hop over just.didnt.exist. will post pics a bit later. hot damn this fork is awesome...