The Downhill Thread

DownhillingKing

Cap when I run outta pedal power I just really focus on riding the fastest line possible and you get to practise choosing routes nicely.

What about going to a longer crank arm length, I think that might help?

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Crank arm length will make such a small difference compare to chainging the chainring and the holzfeller only comes in a 170mm I think. As I said just stop riding jeep track and ride some real DH hills

oh dhk: so u telling the rest of this forum riding Tokai is just like riding on a jeep track??? smiley17.gif

Jrussel: that's exactly what I've been doing in teh interim. trying really hard to ride the corners properly. I know i lose quite a bit of speed there. But that doesnt change the fact I run outta pedal power in a hurry (at least it feels like a hurry smiley6.gif )

...ok so I'm wondering... How does a Giant AC fare for a freeride rig?

I'm thinking of buying an old abused one and fixing it up as a project. I have no idea what the rear wheel travel is, but I'm guessing 5" or 6"?!

Has anyone had any experiences with this particular frame before? What's it like?

And also... would putting a triple clamp with 180-200mm travel on the front change the head angle too drastically that the head tube might rip off?

I'm thinking of fixing something like this up...

20091112_083646_giant_AC.jpeg

patches2009-11-12 08:36:56

it's a nice frame. pretty strong (see pic in this thread one or two pages back showing some dude doing a 2m height road jump at Tokai). Warrantee according to Giant states max travel is 150mm. *HINT* smiley2.gif

I've ridden it with a 180mm fork no problem, but i guess the thing with fatigue failure is: it's just a matter of time.

max travel at the rear is 6.6". I dont ride my Giant AC anymore, but speak with ANguS aka Panik. He still rides his, and he is more than happy with it.

Capricorn we did the mini road gap at tokai today! and WOW it was wet and dirty.....I also managed to get some cornering practise in, im feeling pretty confident, in mamba i managed to not pull any brakes at all and just really lean allot and dig the rear into the ground, worked out pretty well even in the wet, although i wasnt going quite as fast as i usually go and i didnt almost take a slide around the 3rd corner where the little tree stump drop is 

nice!!! honestly, I need to mark up this map I got from the rangers at the entrance. where is mamba? and the mini road gap? i wanna give that a bash as well before I attempt the bigger one... and dont say DH3 etc. that stuff's not market on this map.. smiley6.gif

I didnt make it out to Tokai cos i left work too late. Hit signal hill for some fun speed runs. Just to let the wind thru my helmet. Just wish Tokai had more flowy jumpy stuff...

one of these days, my bike and i are gonna make it out to Fort William and Whistler..*dreams*

Capricorn2009-11-12 12:21:40

Ja I would also love to ride whistler wow!!! It not really a road gap don't remeber Jason doing it either it just like a small little jump over some single track

...ok so I'm wondering... How does a Giant AC fare for a freeride rig?

I'm thinking of buying an old abused one and fixing it up as a project. I have no idea what the rear wheel travel is' date=' but I'm guessing 5" or 6"?!

Has anyone had any experiences with this particular frame before? What's it like?

And also... would putting a triple clamp with 180-200mm travel on the front change the head angle too drastically that the head tube might rip off?

I'm thinking of fixing something like this up...

[img']https://cdn.bikehub.co.za/uploads2/20091112_083646_giant_AC.jpeg[/img]

Get itsmiley1.gif I think this is the one for R2500 am i right?

man, i'm a sad panda: the TLD D3 just went on pre-order at CRC, and omfs, you see the damn price??? now imagine that with extra 30% topped off with some more 14%. FORK!!

it's a nice frame. pretty strong (see pic in this thread one or two pages back showing some dude doing a 2m height road jump at Tokai). Warrantee according to Giant states max travel is 150mm. *HINT* smiley2.gif

I've ridden it with a 180mm fork no problem' date=' but i guess the thing with fatigue failure is: it's just a matter of time.

max travel at the rear is 6.6". I dont ride my Giant AC anymore, but speak with ANguS aka Panik. He still rides his, and he is more than happy with it.

[/quote']

...hahaha warranty guidelines... as an engineer, I figure the safety factor when it comes to shear stress on a bike frame is probably at least 3. haha! so oneday when I'm bored I can translate that into head angle and then max travel length.

But as you said it... fatigue failure is the real issue... especially if I'm basing the bike on a second hand frame.

Well thanks for the help! If I go through with it I'll put up some before and after pics!

patches2009-11-12 13:20:02