Monday Morning: 45 minutes spinnig

Monday Afternoon: jogging

Tuesday Afternoon: 45 minutes spinning

wednesday Morning: 45 minutes spinnig

Wednesday Afternoon: jogging

Thursday Afternoon: 60 minutes spinning

Friday Morning: 45 minutes spinnig

Saterdays:  normally about 20 - 30 km

I only do mountain biking... do i need to rest more or is this fine?

May be a silly question but don`t your legs need more time to relax and get back to full strength? 

2 quick comments....

1. You need at least one day where you nothing but REST!

2. Way too much spinning. Replace two of the spinning sessions with a gym resistance (weight training) workout - working core and upper body (arms and shoulders). It'll help your mountain biking tremendously.

I'd also move the Fri am workout to the afternoon to give you more recovery time from Thursday's workout.

i don't think you are training too much. I train almost everyday and i do a minimum of 2 hours on the bike and i am definitely not overtraining

2 quick comments....

2. Way too much spinning. Replace two of the spinning sessions with a gym resistance (weight training) workout - working core and upper body (arms and shoulders). It'll help your mountain biking tremendously.

I'd also move the Fri am workout to the afternoon to give you more recovery time from Thursday's workout.

Does Sundays count as a rest day - I normally do not do any training on sundays?

is jogging necessary - I know it helps a lot with fitness but does it really help for cycling?

Hi

I want to know if I may be overdoing the whole training thing here - i know to much of something is not good for you so i need some "expert" advise...

This is my training schedule which i want to follow:

You dont indicate at what intensity you do this training at or the distance / length of time you go jogging. It would also help to indicate what kind of mtbking you do i.e XC racer, marathon racer or fun rider.

I would say with the above program you are not at risk of over doing the exercise thing, provided you are in reasonable shape and age, dont go over 8-9 hrs per week total exercise time (6 day week, 1 day no training) and can still wake up easily without an alarm clock in the morning.

2 quick comments....

Does Sundays count as a rest day - I normally do not do any training on sundays?

is jogging necessary - I know it helps a lot with fitness but does it really help for cycling?

Jogging is great for overall fitness and is good for cyclists, but if your goal is to improve your mtbking you need to train more specificly for that i.e. do more cycling than jogging. Depending on how much time you have and your goals doing some core exercises or swimming once a week would also be of benifet.

Guest Agteros

Hi

I want to know if I may be overdoing the whole training thing here - i know to much of something is not good for you so i need some "expert" advise...

You dont indicate at what intensity you do this training at or the distance / length of time you go jogging. It would also help to indicate what kind of mtbking you do i.e XC racer' date=' marathon racer or fun rider.

I would say with the above program you are not at risk of over doing the exercise thing, provided you are in reasonable shape and age, dont go over 8-9 hrs per week total exercise time (6 day week, 1 day no training) and can still wake up easily without an alarm clock in the morning.

[/quote']

Then I should never have started training at all! I need 3 alarms to wake me. And then I still take 30 minutes to get out of bed ....

Seriously... Intensities for all are important .. some need to be slow others hard...

eg

Wednesday Morning: 45 minutes spinning

and

Friday Morning: 45 minutes spinning

Are you doing the morning sessions as hard as the previous evening, or are you taking 'easy spins' in the morning? Maybe do the suggested strength work in the mornings after a spinning class the night before...

Legs one morning, and arms & torso the other? - speak to a body builder for more guidelines here... there are a few (at least one I know) on the hub

If the MTB'ing is XCountry, what distances are you doing?

You might want to increase the Saturday ride times (Not the intensity, make it a Long, STEADY - not slow- Distance ride) otherwise 60+km rides might be not as easy as it should be? Aim for time in saddle, no kms in the logbook smiley2.gif With time, the kilometers will come by themselves!

And if you feel tired, REST irrespective of what your training schedule/program tells you!

So here is what I try and do per week - and it works well for me...

Monday - 45min spinning

Tuesday - 90min cycling at 70%

Wednesday - Circuit training for 50min with 10min warmup

Thursday - 45min spinning

Friday - 60min @ 65% (morning) and 60min @ 65 - 70% (afternoon)

Saturday - 30km road (pace that works for me on that day)

Sunday - 45km road (my own pace)

Then the next week:

Monday - Rest

Tuesday -  45min spinning

Wednesday - 40min legs power triaining adn 45min cycling at 70%

Thursday - LSD for 90min

Friday - LSD for 120min (cycling or circuit or whatever I feel like)

Saturday - LSD 30km road

Sunday - HARD REST!!!

Repeat...
MJ loves MTB2009-08-25 14:44:50

Oh, and:

1. If you feel you are not performing - REST!!!

2. And what works for me, won't work for you...

3. Have fun when you train.

I started MTBing a couple of years ago and I though we were training really well. Looking back at it now I realize what a joke it was, a 45min ride in the week was a "long" session then. However it worked for us then. Now if I dont get in 2 hours on a weeksday I feel like I'm wasting an outfit.

So my advice is:

1) Listen to your body

2) Dont get too fixated on a program since it may limit your progress if you're starting from scratch.

3) If your motivation is race results, keep pushing yourself and move the goalposts accordingly. If you're just a fun rider, keep it at that.

for now I am only doing it for fun (until I am fit and can kick some ass)... but hey I want to try and win some races else I am wasting my time. I like to be competitive so my goal at the end will be to try and win a race - not necessarily saying that i will win but at least it will keep me motivated to go harder ... LOL

Hi

You dont indicate at what intensity you do this training at or the distance / length of time you go jogging. It would also help to indicate what kind of mtbking you do i.e XC racer' date=' marathon racer or fun rider.

[/quote']

For some reason I am awake before my alarm goes of at 4:20 am to get up and go to the gym for spinning but I really struggle to get up 7:30 am to go to work.... Big%20smile LOL Tongue

My programme for the Epic consisted of the following:

Monday - REST

Tuesday - Commute to work and back 180 minutes @ 60 - 70%

Wednesday - REST

Thursday - Commute to work and back 240 minutes (MTB - did a lap at Majik Forrest after work) 70 - 80%

Friday - Easy ride after work 180 mins 60%

Saturday - LSD approx 120km 300 mins @60 - 70%

Sunday - MTB skills approx 90 mins

I would train for 3 weeks and then scale down in week 4, doing only my Saturday and Sunday ride. I also included races from week 9 to 12 over weekends in stead of my skills sessions.

I used the Polar 12 week programme as a guide. I can send it along if anyone is interested. PM me.

The real eye-opener to me was to keep the intensity down for as much as 80 or 90% of your training time. Try to keep it in the aerobic and anarobic zones and try to stay out of the lactic tolerance zone.